Recommendations on Return Pump

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all, I am looking for recommendations on selecting a return pump for a largish tank I am building at the moment. You can see my build thread at https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-blue-window-500-g-in-wall-never-ending-build.465206/.

The 2 pumps I am considering at the moment are the Sicce SDC 9.0 (a pair of them) and the Abyzz model 200 (a pair of them). I am planning to run 2 return pumps for redundancy.

I know that they are completely different as far as price point, but I am willing to spend the cash if the end result justifies the means. I value long service life, low power consumption/ efficiency, reduced maintenance requirements and features. I tend to be a laissez faire when it comes to cleaning equipment, so any feedback from the pump as to its current state would also be helpful. I looked at the poll that has currently popped to the forum recently, but it does not focus in too much on the 2 on my shortlist.

For the Abyzz models, I noticed that they look like you have to glue in plumbing to the volute itself (no threads), but I am wondering how future plumbing/pump changes are handled? I guess you could glue in a union close by, otherwise you would need a new volute every time.

Whichever pump I end up using, I will probably just run it internally rather than externally. I can use the heat given off to lower heater usage.

Any feedback on these 2 pumps, or ones that I really should consider in their place would be most helpful.

Note: Though I am not anti Jebao/Jecod (I use 1 currently on a FT), I am looking for more upscale/reliability than they are known to provide.

Dennis

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Abyzz has a 10 year warranty over the Sicce's 5 year, to me that says alot about how much each company values their product (although 5 years is still really good for aquarium equipment).

The Abyzz also gives you quite a bit more flexibility with the higher output ability, but also helps future proof your setup with the allowance of hooking up external devices to the pump.

All that being said, the Sicce is much cheaper but is still a very good pump, I don't think you'll have any particular regrets with either pump, besides maybe empty wallet regrets :)

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Abyzz has a 10 year warranty over the Sicce's 5 year, to me that says alot about how much each company values their product (although 5 years is still really good for aquarium equipment).

The Abyzz also gives you quite a bit more flexibility with the higher output ability, but also helps future proof your setup with the allowance of hooking up external devices to the pump.

All that being said, the Sicce is much cheaper but is still a very good pump, I don't think you'll have any particular regrets with either pump, besides maybe empty wallet regrets :)

Yes, I think they are both pretty good candidates. I was toying with the idea of running 1 of the dual pumps through a 4 port OM on the return to the tank, and I suppose the higher output that the Abyzz offers could still allow that. If I can get 2500 GPH out of each dual pump, that should be way more than enough.

Lol, @nautical_nathaniel I like your tag. If you read my build thread you will see that I may have the same issue! :D

Dennis

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll already have two so a backup. I'd go Sicce. I have the new 7.0 ADV and it's a beast and super efficient. Spend the extra money on other things like Alkatronic, or Dastaco CARX.

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll already have two so a backup. I'd go Sicce. I have the new 7.0 ADV and it's a beast and super efficient. Spend the extra money on other things like Alkatronic, or Dastaco CARX.

Hmm interesting idea. I already have an Alkatronic on my frag tank (highly recommended), and I will need to get another one for the new DT. If I went with Sicce for the backup then I could divert the money saved towards a Dastaco CARX. I have been thinking about DIY'ing a Dastaco for awhile. Not to save money, but just for the enjoyment of building my own equipment. The way I DIY, saving money is usually never the outcome!:)

Of course if I went with Sicce for both, then I could afford to buy a Dastaco and not feel guilty about it! Better yet, order 3 Sicce pumps, run 2 on the tank and put 1 on the shelf as a spare. and still come out at 1/3 the cost of the 2 Abyzz pumps.

Dennis

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think they are both pretty good candidates. I was toying with the idea of running 1 of the dual pumps through a 4 port OM on the return to the tank, and I suppose the higher output that the Abyzz offers could still allow that. If I can get 2500 GPH out of each dual pump, that should be way more than enough.

Lol, @nautical_nathaniel I like your tag. If you read my build thread you will see that I may have the same issue! :D

Dennis

Why not one of each? If you need the higher output for a specific function, then you could use the Since as the backup return pump going to a single return port and the Abyzz for the four port OM.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both are from very reliable companies.

I have never had a Sicce pump fail on me ever but the DC pump line is newer. I better knock on wood.

As far as Abyzz I do not know many that are out there so it is hard to really know. We hear they are reliable from the retailers but how many people own them?
I have never heard of a failure on them.

I also feel ac is more reliable but I use DC pumps myself.

Personally I do not trust Jebao.
I prefer the German and Italian pumps over China.

I know that does not help.

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not one of each? If you need the higher output for a specific function, then you could use the Since as the backup return pump going to a single return port and the Abyzz for the four port OM.

I thought of using 1 of each to still allow the OM to be used, however after thinking about how much flow I can realistically get from a Bean Animal drain using 1.5" piping, I have decided to go with 2 Tunze pumps. The best answer I can find in the forums is that 3000 GPH is achievable, so I plan to target 2500 GPH. So this does not leave much flow when split and makes the OM and higher flow Abyzz less worthwhile.

Unless I am completely wrong on the flow rate I can expect using a 22" weir and a full 1.5" Bean Animal setup. (bulkheads 1.5", piping 1.5", drop to sump 42")

Both are from very reliable companies.

I have never had a Sicce pump fail on me ever but the DC pump line is newer. I better knock on wood.

As far as Abyzz I do not know many that are out there so it is hard to really know. We hear they are reliable from the retailers but how many people own them?
I have never heard of a failure on them.

I also feel ac is more reliable but I use DC pumps myself.

Personally I do not trust Jebao.
I prefer the German and Italian pumps over China.

I know that does not help.

Yep, I agree with everything you said. Pretty much decided on 2 x Tunze SDC 9.0. Each one costs the same as the Reeflo pumps locally. So same money, more efficient, simpler install, I can't think of a reason not to go with the Tunze's.

Dennis

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought of using 1 of each to still allow the OM to be used, however after thinking about how much flow I can realistically get from a Bean Animal drain using 1.5" piping, I have decided to go with 2 Tunze pumps. The best answer I can find in the forums is that 3000 GPH is achievable, so I plan to target 2500 GPH. So this does not leave much flow when split and makes the OM and higher flow Abyzz less worthwhile.

Unless I am completely wrong on the flow rate I can expect using a 22" weir and a full 1.5" Bean Animal setup. (bulkheads 1.5", piping 1.5", drop to sump 42")

Yep, I agree with everything you said. Pretty much decided on 2 x Tunze SDC 9.0. Each one costs the same as the Reeflo pumps locally. So same money, more efficient, simpler install, I can't think of a reason not to go with the Tunze's.

Dennis

Is the tunze a rebranded sicce pump?

I know a bunch of the other are.

Nothing wrong with Tunze, best support there is.

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tunze a rebranded sicce pump?

I know a bunch of the other are.

Nothing wrong with Tunze, best support there is.

Doh, no that is me having Tunze on the brain. I was meaning to say Sicce SDC 9.0. I plan to order 3 of the Sicce pumps, install 2 and have 1 as a spare on the shelf.

Dennis

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doh, no that is me having Tunze on the brain. I was meaning to say Sicce SDC 9.0. I plan to order 3 of the Sicce pumps, install 2 and have 1 as a spare on the shelf.

Dennis

Kind of thought so, I googled the pump because I never heard of it.
Tunze has used Sicce before.

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at return pumps. I need one for a first build. 200 gallon. I read that it needs 5 x the size gph.
I was looking at a Jebao 10000. Anyone used it? I was thinking bigger one turned down would work less. Am I crazy?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back