Recommendations

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced a yellow tail blenny to my tank however my 6 line wrasse is going for it. Any recommendations.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can try an acclimation box to give time for things to settle. 6 line are notorious for being jerks

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going with your blenny?

Don't know much about different species but did quick search and, just visually, looks "sort of" similar to bicolor blenny that I have. (Not sure about temperament differences).

Mine was a little timid in the beginning, even less aggressive than a little bit smaller clownfish but now, at a couple of months in, he's confidently aggressive and I wouldn't think likely to get hurt (or even intimidated) by any other fish with a smaller mouth than his (unless massively larger).

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going with your blenny?

Don't know much about different species but did quick search and, just visually, looks "sort of" similar to bicolor blenny that I have. (Not sure about temperament differences).

Mine was a little timid in the beginning, even less aggressive than a little bit smaller clownfish but now, at a couple of months in, he's confidently aggressive and I wouldn't think likely to get hurt (or even intimidated) by any other fish with a smaller mouth than his (unless massively larger).
I just got him today, the wrasse was going after it so he hid in a rock and just has its head poking out. The wrasse is smaller but the blenny was hanging out where the wrasse sleeps. I have the lights off and they’ll stay off.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got him today, the wrasse was going after it so he hid in a rock and just has its head poking out. The wrasse is smaller but the blenny was hanging out where the wrasse sleeps. I have the lights off and they’ll stay off.
I don't have any experience with wrasses (but know they're known to be aggressive).
My guess is you'll be fine.

If yellow tail is anything like bicolor that I'm used to, he'll find his "go to" holes that he can get to quickly where the wrasse won't be able to touch him.

Then the only question will be if the blenny starts making targeted attacks from hole to aggression and back to safety. I think they'll probably come to balance and not mess with each other too much after the initial "feeling out" period is over.

*bicolor blenny is super fast swimmer and ridiculously agile at high speed, even though his norm is just hangin' out perched somewhere waiting for something interesting to happen.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with wrasses (but know they're known to be aggressive).
My guess is you'll be fine.

If yellow tail is anything like bicolor that I'm used to, he'll find his "go to" holes that he can get to quickly where the wrasse won't be able to touch him.

Then the only question will be if the blenny starts making targeted attacks from hole to aggression and back to safety. I think they'll probably come to balance and not mess with each other too much after the initial "feeling out" period is over.

*bicolor blenny is super fast swimmer and ridiculously agile at high speed, even though his norm is just hangin' out perched somewhere waiting for something interesting to happen.
I’ll keep an eye out for the blenny and the wrasse. However I would like to add a pair of cardinal fish as well but they are slow swimmers. So I might not get them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back