Recommended ATO for a 42G?

NSS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Autoaqua AWC. Does ATO and auto water change. Althoug I don't do full water changes, I do change 2-3% or so of my water every 4 days to replenish trace elements etc. Works very well.

Upvote 0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump or No? No sump I have used the Reef breeders ATO, the one with the eye, Hindsight I may have gone with the float valve because I have a big snail that moves it, then the alarm goes off, which is good I guess. In conjunction I used the IM ATO fill which would work with your rim. In my 40g with a sump I bought the APEX because I also ended up buying the V2 APEX because I wanted the salinity monitor and you can get them for just an arm now. The V3 with the salinity monitor will cost you an arm and a leg. The Tunze and the Apex both have their pro and cons equally. The Reef Breeders I have used for a year and beside the aforementioned issue it has been great

Upvote 0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump, unfortunately.
You can use the Reef Breeders setup. If you choose the float valve version then be sure to keep the valve clean. I also use one of those massive mason jars with a bamboo lid from the IKEA that I drilled holes in so no rust.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mmonk005

Mmonk005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there ways to build fail safes in with these? When I read the reviews, they all have some bad reviews where something goes wrong and floods the tank. With my heaters, I use inkbird’s thermostat as a fail safe should the heater fail. What can I do with an ATO?

Upvote 0

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Ice Cap ATO in combination with my Neptune FMM/ATO. They are very small and can fit in the smallest spaces.

Upvote 0

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the JBJ ATO for about 10 years.

5G bucket of water under the tank with a small pump feeding it up.

Upvote 0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Smart ATO Lite on my rimmed tank without a sump.

I think I paid around $40 for it.

not all sensors work with rimmed tanks if you want to keep the water level above the bottom of the rim. so if that matters to you, make sure the sensor will allow that with a rimmed tank. I had to have a mount 3d printed that allowed me to put the sensor higher up so it maintains my water level above the trim.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back