Recommended silent skimmer?

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Exclusive Bubble King. I have been looking at and listening to quite a few skimmers as I prepare for my new build and have not heard anything as quiet as one of these.

Of course, budget permitting! :D

tmnigat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had this dilemma when shopping for a skimmer on black friday, 150g display with 50g sump. I couldn't make up my mind so I purchased both a Simplicity 320 DC and Eshopps S-300. Ambient noise in my room is 42db. The Eshopps brought up the noise to 56-58db. The simplicity skimmer brought it up to only 45db, much more manageable. The eshopps did seem like it skimmed much better but it was rated higher and it could just be a break in issue. I returned the eshopps and kept the Simplicity.

My advice, go with something DC if sound is a huge concern. Every AC pump I've dealt with always has that noticeable hum that I can hear no matter how much i try to ignore it.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you can also do is purchase a venturi skimmer and use any pump with an adequate flow rate. Then you only worry about the quietest pump or silencing said pump. That is what I did on my current tank. Inside the enclosed cabinet I can't really hear it.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble King, Deltec and Tunze make really high quality and silent skimmers. I'd go with a Deltec personally. While the build quality of the Bubble King is really second to none, its unnecessary and doesn't skim any better than a Deltec. Tunze makes products that just work and continue to do so for decades at a time. I've owned two Tunze skimmers and they both impressed me, they weren't silent however.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Exclusive Bubble King. I have been looking at and listening to quite a few skimmers as I prepare for my new build and have not heard anything as quiet as one of these.

Of course, budget permitting! :D
I've been running a Bubble King mini 160 for years and (lol) it's worth every penny :D

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of the aquamaxx cones skimmer- and I'm not a fan of anything aquamaxx- but what looks like a gimmick (the cones) works, and the tunze block is very quiet

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice Cap K2-200. Using on a 120 and is completely silent. Pulls great skim and is by far the easiest skimmer to dial in from the ones I have owned (RO/RLSS/NYOS).

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most all skimmers nowadays are quiet. From peoples' opinions over the past year or so is that the Icecap skimmers are the loudest and it has nothing to do with the pump. It's a hiss from the air silencer.

The quietest possible pumps will be DC, but are harder to tune on a skimmer, plus it unnecessarily inflates the price of the skimmer. DC pumps are, imo, completely not needed for protein skimmers. It's just a way for manufacturers to add something new.

Most any skimmer, AC or DC, will be quiet enough with the stands' doors shut.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice Cap K2-200. Using on a 120 and is completely silent. Pulls great skim and is by far the easiest skimmer to dial in from the ones I have owned (RO/RLSS/NYOS).

I own 2 also, the 120 for my 50 qube, and the 50 for my frag tank, easy to dial in and clean. Pulls dark stinky skim also.
Love this skimmer

nfrench2100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Super Reef Octopus 1000INT and that thing makes next to no noise! I run it on a 75, so not sure if it would be rated for 125 (I’d assume not)

But hey, for what it’s worth

steevareno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a simplicity 320dc and it's completely silent and affordable and yes it skims great.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you can also do is purchase a venturi skimmer and use any pump with an adequate flow rate. Then you only worry about the quietest pump or silencing said pump. That is what I did on my current tank. Inside the enclosed cabinet I can't really hear it.

This is what I did. Only time you hear it is when you disconnect the intake tube when cleaning. Freedom to use any pump you want.

Bengt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9410 DOC DC is very quite and are one of the best skimmers on the market.

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 60g all-in-one open top with an Ice-Cap k120 in my living space (open concept condo) and I can't hear it all, the fans on my light and the ecotech and jebao pumps are louder. Ice-Cap breaks in fast, super easy to dial in then forget it, space saving, easy maintenance, titanium screws with Sicce pump with a very reasonable price tag. It comes ready to add ozone too if you want and a quick connect for a skim collector. I had a cadlights before that and was way too loud and annoying having to adjust it almost daily.

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been running a Bubble King mini 160 for years and (lol) it's worth every penny :D

Where do you set your standpipe in relation to open and closed? also what is your water depth? I am having issues with my 160 that is relatively new. I can completely close the standpipe and the water level is only about 2 inches above the bubble plate. and this thing hums like a barbers clippers.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back