Recommended silent skimmer?

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my build thread. NYOS is quiet but not silent. 61 decibels in a 46 decibel ambient room. But haven’t found a better option. I know reef Octopus VarioS pumps don’t increase ambient decibels at all (I measured my VarioS 2 and 4)

I have the NYOS 120 + Varios 4 return, the NYOS is measurably louder than the Reef Octopus return. It's quiet, but I wouldn't call it silent. Turning off the skimmer makes a noticeable difference. People's reactions to noise varies greatly.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you set your standpipe in relation to open and closed? also what is your water depth? I am having issues with my 160 that is relatively new. I can completely close the standpipe and the water level is only about 2 inches above the bubble plate. and this thing hums like a barbers clippers.
I don't know how open the stand pipe is.
It's more on the closed side than the open side.

Protein skimmers sump compartment's water line is exactly 8"

If I shut the stand pipe all the way, the BK skimmers cup top would float off the cup.

wiselyy73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on what you called “noise”. Most of the time the noise are from the air intake not the skimmer (pump).

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lancesmith1
To me somethings not right with your impeller assembly.

Have you checked the bushings and O rings with the needle wheel, inside your BK 160's motor block?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say don’t go vertex. My omega 150 is noisy! I have it set to only run overnight because it’s so loud, and my nutrients are nearing undetectable anyway.
I have the same skimmer mine is silent. You might want to contact them. I don’t think it should be that loud.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 60g all-in-one open top with an Ice-Cap k120 in my living space (open concept condo) and I can't hear it all, the fans on my light and the ecotech and jebao pumps are louder. Ice-Cap breaks in fast, super easy to dial in then forget it, space saving, easy maintenance, titanium screws with Sicce pump with a very reasonable price tag. It comes ready to add ozone too if you want and a quick connect for a skim collector. I had a cadlights before that and was way too loud and annoying having to adjust it almost daily.
These things are quiet beasts!
Here's my 3 days skimmate
b1b81bec172b6d885185fff2e10eb1f6.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back