Recommended silent skimmer?

Kareem K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I tried searching the forum but would like your thoughts on a specific question.

I have a ~125ga display with a ~40g sump. In the family room. Will ultimately be stocking it moderately but it's still cycling now. I need now to look for a skimmer that will adequately cover this. Sump resides in a big stand under display so size is not a significant issue my only requirement is that it is as quiet as possible.

Specifically, how does the BM curve 7 compare to the competition? (With regards to noise)

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have owned both the Nyos Quantum 120 and 160... silent for sure!

docs911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BM Curve 7. Very quiet. Not the easiest skimmer to use. Needs about 10 inches of water. Very finicky. I had a CADlight skimmer before but when I moved tanks, it did not fit stand. Liked that CADlight better

marks69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the bm a8 and the only sound is the air going in the silencer if my stand doors are open.

Staggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for the nyos 160, just replaced a rlss with it two weeks ago and it's very silent.

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimz I own one and it is dead silent and craftsmanship on them is nice. My tank is in my living room and silence was very important for me. This skimmer does not disappoint.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say don’t go vertex. My omega 150 is noisy! I have it set to only run overnight because it’s so loud, and my nutrients are nearing undetectable anyway.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my build thread. NYOS is quiet but not silent. 61 decibels in a 46 decibel ambient room. But haven’t found a better option. I know reef Octopus VarioS pumps don’t increase ambient decibels at all (I measured my VarioS 2 and 4). So if the air silencer works, then go with a Reef Octopus! I haven’t had the ability to get one since they’re too oversized for my tank.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid reef octo. They aren’t very loud but the pumps usually only last a few years and reef octo constantly changes designs so it’s unlikely you’ll be able to get a replacement pump when it dies that’s a direct fit.

@kinetic what meter do you use? I’m kinda curious what kind of noise my nyos 220 is putting out. I know I can’t hear it over anything else when the tank is running but I’ve never measured it.

I know with everything else off it makes a little noise and side by side with either of the vertex skimmers(alpha 170 and alpha 200) it does make more noise, almost like a vibration or frequency noise but that may just be me.

The vertex silencer may be better as it incorporates a foam insert though I’m not sure what purpose it serves.

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a vertex 180i in the forum here and I own that very skimmer it's awesome and dead quiet . Who ever has it up is selling it for 400 Bnib and is a steal

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back