Recurring Disease on PBT

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it takes the full 30 days to kill the parasites in copper. So if at anytime the levels dropped below the therapeutic range or you were short of the 30 days the parasite could have survived. I am also paranoid about ich, velvet, etc. so I tend to leave my fish in the copper for a little longer than the 30 days.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it takes the full 30 days to kill the parasites in copper. So if at anytime the levels dropped below the therapeutic range or you were short of the 30 days the parasite could have survived. I am also paranoid about ich, velvet, etc. so I tend to leave my fish in the copper for a little longer than the 30 days.

Copper only kills the free swimming stage of the parasite.

There are also two other possibilities.
They would be rare.

1) free swimmers we're still released after the 28 day copper treatment.

2) you have encountered a copper resistant strain, either CP or a higher level of copper may be needed to erradicate.

OP
OP
1cc386ea8e470a

1cc386ea8e470a

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furthermore, I'm a germ-a-phobe. Needless to say this ich is driving me insane. In regards to sterilization of the transfer tanks, does ich become completely inactive if they dry out after vinegar cleaning? Or can they survive like a pesky human virus? Is bleaching required to render ich inactive???

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering the TTM. Hows the success rate?

The success rate is great as long as you make sure that there is no cross contamination between the two tanks, everything remains dry for at least 24 hours and the tanks are kept at least 10' apart.
I usually do the transfers every 48 hours instead of 72. Honestly I feel that it gives me a better success rate this way. I have 3 sets of each equipment and wash all the equipment with 1:10 bleach/water and allow to fully dry for 48 hours before reusing.
One advice I will give you is if you are using the regular heaters with the temp controller on top of them, keep in mind that water can get trapped inside under the knob and not fully dry! This alone can cause failure! I tend not to fully submerge them when used in the qt. Also make sure they are fully submerged for a couple of hours during sanitizing process in a bucket of bleach/water.

OP
OP
1cc386ea8e470a

1cc386ea8e470a

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The success rate is great as long as you make sure that there is no cross contamination between the two tanks, everything remains dry for at least 24 hours and the tanks are kept at least 10' apart.
I usually do the transfers every 48 hours instead of 72. Honestly I feel that it gives me a better success rate this way. I have 3 sets of each equipment and wash all the equipment with 1:10 bleach/water and allow to fully dry for 48 hours before reusing.
One advice I will give you is if you are using the regular heaters with the temp controller on top of them, keep in mind that water can get trapped inside under the knob and not fully dry! This alone can cause failure! I tend not to fully submerge them when used in the qt. Also make sure they are fully submerged for a couple of hours during sanitizing process in a bucket of bleach/water.
Thank you for the insight. I will admit I've never given much thought to you're heater comment. That's a good point about water getting trapped in the top part.

Thank you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back