Yellow and Powder Blue Tang heavy breathing and have circles on sides in QT

CowTusks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I set up my old 55 gallon as a QT to treat ich on my PBT. I had battled it before in the display and lost a few fish months ago. I’ve decided to let the DT remain fish-less to hopefully remedy the ich/any parasites.

The QT tank was set up last Saturday and the fish were moved in on Monday. The yellow tang showed the first marks Friday and now the PBT shows similar symptoms. Both are breathing heavily. I’m inclined to believe it’s stress and will not dose tonight. Just need to make sure.

Livestock
  • Christmas Wrasse
  • Yellow Tang
  • Powder Blue Tabg
  • 2 snowflake extreme clowns
  • Starry blenny

• QT Parameters/info:
  • 1.020 salinity
  • 79.8 F
  • ~100 KH (API 5-in-1 strip)
  • ~150 GH (API 5-in-1 strip)
  • 0 nitrite (API 5-in-1 strip)
  • 0 nitrate (API 5-in-1 strip)
  • Dosing 5.5 capfuls (~27mL) of ParaGuard around 7pm daily since Tuesday.
  • Have old penguin 375 rollers that have been in DT sump floating for months to try and provide some bacteria
  • Did a 12 gallon RODI water change on Saturday
IMG_7078.jpeg

Yellow tang picture from Friday. The circle is less visible today but still there.

IMG_7101.png

PBT pictured 30 mins ago.

IMG_7102.jpeg

API 5-in-1 test

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello. I set up my old 55 gallon as a QT to treat ich on my PBT. I had battled it before in the display and lost a few fish months ago. I’ve decided to let the DT remain fish-less to hopefully remedy the ich/any parasites.

The QT tank was set up last Saturday and the fish were moved in on Monday. The yellow tang showed the first marks Friday and now the PBT shows similar symptoms. Both are breathing heavily. I’m inclined to believe it’s stress and will not dose tonight. Just need to make sure.

Livestock
  • Christmas Wrasse
  • Yellow Tang
  • Powder Blue Tabg
  • Starry blenny

• QT Parameters/info:
  • 1.020 salinity
  • 79.8 F
  • Have old penguin 375 rollers that have been in DT sump floating for months to try and provide some bacteria
IMG_7078.jpeg

Yellow tang picture from Friday. The circle is less visible today but still there.

IMG_7101.png

IMG_7102.jpeg

API 5-in-1 test
Pics are little pale to clearly see but BBT susceptible to ich and velvet and should be quarantined and treated with coppersafe at treatment level 2.25-2.5 and monitor both ammonia and Copper levels with RELIABLE test kits.
Please dont rely on $7 test strips also designed for freshwater giving false results to sustain a hundred or two hundred dollars of fish

OP
OP
CowTusks

CowTusks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are little pale to clearly see but BBT susceptible to ich and velvet and should be quarantined and treated with coppersafe at treatment level 2.25-2.5 and monitor both ammonia and Copper levels with RELIABLE test kits.
Please dont rely on $7 test strips also designed for freshwater giving false results to sustain a hundred or two hundred dollars of fish
I had purchased Cupramine and Seachem MultiTest Copper tests but was told the wrasse would die to copper by my LFS so i swapped to ParaGuard.

I am slowly upgrading my test kits and only have a Hanna Nitrate one now. What is the recommended way to test for ammonia? Is the copper test I have reliable?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had purchased Cupramine and Seachem MultiTest Copper tests but was told the wrasse would die to copper by my LFS so i swapped to ParaGuard.

I am slowly upgrading my test kits and only have a Hanna Nitrate one now. What is the recommended way to test for ammonia? Is the copper test I have reliable?
Cupramine is ionic copper and a risk indeed. You want coppersafe and for wrasse can be run at 2.0 or treat with General cure

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say circles, are you describing what appears to be about the size of a dime or nickel on the side on each fish, or are you describing something like grains of sand? The larger markings are barely visible in the photos, so they may be my imagination. If they in-fact exist, do you have wave pumps or other mechanicals in the tank that may have interacted with the fish? I've seen something similar to that before on one of my fish, but I was never able to get to the bottom of it. Almost like a bruise or stamp. In my case, the marks disappeared in a day.

OP
OP
CowTusks

CowTusks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say circles, are you describing what appears to be about the size of a dime or nickel on the side on each fish, or are you describing something like grains of sand? The larger markings are barely visible in the photos, so they may be my imagination. If they in-fact exist, do you have wave pumps or other mechanicals in the tank that may have interacted with the fish? I've seen something similar to that before on one of my fish, but I was never able to get to the bottom of it. Almost like a bruise or stamp. In my case, the marks disappeared in a day.
Dime sized. The yellow tangs lines up with his pectoral fins and the PBT’s is more like a bite mark with more weight on the top and bottom of the circle.

I only have 2 sponge filters and a heater in the tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Livestock
  • Christmas Wrasse
  • Yellow Tang
  • Powder Blue Tabg
  • Starry blenny

• QT Parameters/info:
  • 1.020 salinity
  • 79.8 F
IMG_7078.jpeg

IMG_7101.png

IMG_7102.jpeg

API 5-in-1 test
I was able to see this on larger screen. Looks like a larger bite mark - What other fish are in the tank with it. Ive seen smaller rings and this can even have stemmed from sting or similar injury. Can you provide updated pic?

OP
OP
CowTusks

CowTusks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to see this on larger screen. Looks like a larger bite mark - What other fish are in the tank with it. Ive seen smaller rings and this can even have stemmed from sting or similar injury. Can you provide updated pic?
  • Christmas Wrasse
  • Yellow Tang
  • Powder Blue Tabg
  • Starry blenny
I’ve attached the video the still was taken from. As i said before the yellow tang’s mark has faded but the breathing is very rapid.

Attachments

• IMG_7100.mov
    44.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cupramine is pretty rough on wrasse, but coppersafe works well. Paraguard has a really poor track record when used in marine tanks, I only use it for freshwater fish now.
Those rings are odd - like mechanical damage of some sort. Do the fish have them on both sides?

Jay

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at the pic's and reading everything, I think I see a fairly good size lawn mower blenny in between the pipes. Since you think it may be bite marks, I look at the pic of the tangs and the shape looks like the marks of a lawn mower blenny leaves on glass when it eats algae...May want to take the lawnmower out or try and catch him defending his area and biting then tangs... to confirm...

OP
OP
CowTusks

CowTusks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine is pretty rough on wrasse, but coppersafe works well. Paraguard has a really poor track record when used in marine tanks, I only use it for freshwater fish now.
Those rings are odd - like mechanical damage of some sort. Do the fish have them on both sides?

Jay
I’ll swap to CopperSafe. Do I need to somehow remove the ParaGuard before or just stop dosing and swap?

No only on the one side. I’m beginning to think it’s my Starry Blenny. I had seen the PBT and him bicker the other day but didn’t think it would be a real issue. Would the heavy breathing be stress? I’ll be grabbing a better ammonia test today to ensure healthy levels and rule that out.

OP
OP
CowTusks

CowTusks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll swap to CopperSafe. Do I need to somehow remove the ParaGuard before or just stop dosing and swap?

No only on the one side. I’m beginning to think it’s my Starry Blenny. I had seen the PBT and him bicker the other day but didn’t think it would be a real issue. Would the heavy breathing be stress? I’ll be grabbing a better ammonia test today to ensure healthy levels and rule that out.

The marks on my powder blue match the ones in this post. I’ll get some egg crate and separate them in QT and hope the peace returns in the DT with more places to hide and escape.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm. I would say the blenny needs to go....probably stress from PBT and blenny fighting...PBT do no do well under stress they are a ick magnet...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Run carbon, do water change and add coppersafe while monitoring levels
That mark is consistent with blenny mouth shape why I asked about other occupants.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ah - but be careful! If you’ve begun with Cupramine you can’t switch to coppersafe unless you remove all of the Cupramine first - it makes dosing too confusing if you don’t.
Heavy breathing can be from stress, but also from gill disease or water quality issues.

OP
OP
CowTusks

CowTusks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run carbon, do water change and add coppersafe while monitoring levels
That mark is consistent with blenny mouth shape why I asked about other occupants.
Silly question but how do you run carbon in a tank with sponge filters?

Ah - but be careful! If you’ve begun with Cupramine you can’t switch to coppersafe unless you remove all of the Cupramine first - it makes dosing too confusing if you don’t.
Heavy breathing can be from stress, but also from gill disease or water quality issues.
Currently only have ParaGuard in the water. Will run carbon (see above) and do a larger water change before dosing CopperSafe. Do i need to be as precautious as i would be had it been Cupramine.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Silly question but how do you run carbon in a tank with sponge filters?

Currently only have ParaGuard in the water. Will run carbon (see above) and do a larger water change before dosing CopperSafe. Do i need to be as precautious as i would be had it been Cupramine.
Place carbon in a nylon pouch in path of running water
If sponge isl only method of filtration, you may have water quality issues in alignment with this issue

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back