Found dr reef yellow tang breathing on side

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
He was fine. New order from dr reef. Delivered feb 22. Melanurus died 3 days after delivery. Can’t find leopard. This guy was found laying on side. I put him in sump while I thought what to do.

He has a thing poking out on side

I grabbed him and put him in flow of mp40. That got him going to swim. Didn’t see anything besides this spot in his side. He is currently swimming into flow of sump.

All other fish, two clowns, dwarf wrasse is fine.

Edit: I did see the big anthia flash twice yesterday. No other flashing since.

Fish from same order 5 anthias, springeri damsel, kole tang,cleaner wrasse is fine. MIA the leopard and 2 court jester goby

Oddly the kole is not coming out and hiding in the rock away from light.

Currently booting up hospital tank.

IMG_8534.jpeg IMG_8533.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Seen one of missing court jester gobies. Kole tang is coming out but going back in after eating some. He stays below rockwork

Anthias are going into rockwork sometimes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He was fine. New order from dr reef. Delivered feb 22. Melanurus died 3 days after delivery. Can’t find leopard. This guy was found laying on side. I put him in sump while I thought what to do.

He has a thing poking out on side

I grabbed him and put him in flow of mp40. That got him going to swim. Didn’t see anything besides this spot in his side. He is currently swimming into flow of sump.

All other fish, two clowns, dwarf wrasse is fine.

Edit: I did see the big anthia flash twice yesterday. No other flashing since.

Fish from same order 5 anthias, springeri damsel, kole tang,cleaner wrasse is fine. MIA the leopard and 2 court jester goby

Oddly the kole is not coming out and hiding in the rock away from light.

Currently booting up hospital tank.

IMG_8534.jpeg IMG_8533.jpeg
This fish is extremely thin and may be weak in general or from Transport.
How did you acclimate it and for how long?
Is this a quarantine tank?

Increase oxygen with air stone

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0

He was swimming fine the past few days. At least when I got home from my 12 hour shifts. (No idea why this is bold). Melanurus wrasse died 3 days after delivery. Haven’t seen leopard wrasse sent it went to sand. The rest of the order is still alive. The Kole is out eating.

I turned on the t5 and the anthias came out.

Both court jester govt are out now.

Only the kole is suspicious. Yellow tang hasn’t left the flow.

It’s looking like fluke.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0

It’s my display. All fish and inverts from dr reef. I feed 7 times a day with the plank. With some frozen.

Nitrates are 7 and phos is 0.09, with 1.025 salinity

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish did you add at once? You list quite a few. Size and age of the tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s my display. All fish and inverts from dr reef. I feed 7 times a day with the plank. With some frozen.

Nitrates are 7 and phos is 0.09, with 1.025 salinity
Water itself if reading are true is fine. You feed 7x a day - Is this fish physically eating?
When acquiring quarantined fish, assume they have something from shipping and do your own quarantine even for 14 days as an assurance.
Again, how did you acclimate and for how long?

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0

Got him from dr reef like that. Been running running RO elite 200 int full blast with cup draining back into tank for ph boost from calx reactor. Threw in air stone just in case. Don’t think it’s o2 issue

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He was swimming fine the past few days. At least when I got home from my 12 hour shifts. (No idea why this is bold). Melanurus wrasse died 3 days after delivery. Haven’t seen leopard wrasse sent it went to sand. The rest of the order is still alive. The Kole is out eating.

I turned on the t5 and the anthias came out.

Both court jester govt are out now.

Only the kole is suspicious. Yellow tang hasn’t left the flow.

It’s looking like fluke.
Cant say flukes as no symptoms were noted and they often cannot be seen with naked eye. Often if flukes, there will be rapid breathing, sudden motions across tabk, red or swollen gills and loss of color as examples

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not ammonia. I added live bacteria and additional 30 lb live rock I had cooking for 2 months. Everything pointing toward flukes
Actually most of what you described is not fluke like symptoms so I'll ask again how many fish did you add at once? 10 or more? Size and age of the tank? You have a thread going about a tank leak on your new tank last month?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got him from dr reef like that. Been running running RO elite 200 int full blast with cup draining back into tank for ph boost from calx reactor. Threw in air stone just in case. Don’t think it’s o2 issue
If breathing heavy will be an oxygen issue or disease. Dont have enough info to conclude which one when you are making your own assessments

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Water itself if reading are true is fine. You feed 7x a day - Is this fish physically eating?
When acquiring quarantined fish, assume they have something from shipping and do your own quarantine even for 14 days as an assurance.
Again, how did you acclimate and for how long?
I didn’t QT as I paid dr reef to do that for me. He picked at the rocks a little but didn’t see much. I did broadcast mysis and brine. Don’t know if he ate. He is constantly in front of the flow in the sump.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Actually most of what you described is not fluke like symptoms so I'll ask again how many fish did you add at once? 10 or more? Size and age of the tank? You have a thread going about a tank leak on your new tank last month?
There were all small. It is not ammonia issue. I’ve done QT my own fish before and this is either ich, fluke, or velvet. All the other fish are eating and not light sensitive. I had the melanurus death after 3 days. Possibility the ornate leopard. Wrasses are really prone for flukes.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I didn’t QT as I paid dr reef to do that for me. He picked at the rocks a little but didn’t see much. I did broadcast mysis and brine. Don’t know if he ate. He is constantly in front of the flow in the sump.
The problem is, the fish is quarantined at the facility and does not ensure it arrives with no issues when in fact, shipping alone imposes stress and if you did not properly acclimate, fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag, That in turn makes the ammonia -toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia. That raises the pH of the water in the bag, and that in turn, makes the residual ammonia toxic to the fish.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant say flukes as no symptoms were noted and they often cannot be seen with naked eye. Often if flukes, there will be rapid breathing, sudden motions across tabk, red or swollen gills and loss of color as examples

The picture the OP posted of the Tang; it looks very pale to me.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
If breathing heavy will be an oxygen issue or disease. Dont have enough info to conclude which one when you are making your own assessments
Yellow tang didn’t see eat much. Didn’t see melanurus until death because I worked 12 hours the next 2 days. Third day I saw him dead in tank. Haven’t seen the ornate leopard. All other fish are eating. I’ve been running my RO 200 elite skimmer full blast overflow in the sump. The yellow tang is head into flow on sump.

Parameters are good as listed above. I added 30th lbs of live rock I had marinating for 2 months.

It has to be flukes, ich, or velvet. I saw one of the anthias flash twice yesterday (my first day off work) I work from when they are awake and get home when they about to go to sleep)

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
The problem is, the fish is quarantined at the facility and does not ensure it arrives with no issues when in fact, shipping alone imposes stress and if you did not properly acclimate, fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag, That in turn makes the ammonia -toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia. That raises the pH of the water in the bag, and that in turn, makes the residual ammonia toxic to the fish.
They have been in the tank 6 days including the day I got them. See the above reply about everything else. I saw him swim fine and everybody good except the ornate and melanurus which went directly into sand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back