Yellow Tang Breathing heavy and slow

gt4profession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when when I left this morning I fed the tank as normal and everyone ate, there were no issues at all. I come back 2 hours later and I see that my yellow tang is swimming in one spot of the tank but it’s breathing hard and swimming really lethargic (which I don’t know if that would be a word for fish). I call my lFS, rushed him there and he did the fresh water dip and moved him to a tank where we observed him. I have one other tang which is a purple and he was swimming fine even checking out the yellow kinda checking if he’s ok but they do from time to time chase each other but the purple is smaller then the yellow to dominate the tank. Now my question is the yellow was doing amazing this morning no issues then boom he’s swimming side to side breathing hard and freaked me out enough to yank him out the tank and rush him to my guy. At my LFS when we checked the yellow tang he had no abrasions, he’s nice and fat, no issues pretty much. Has anyone else ever ran into this issue because I am stumped and so my guy. Waiting on an update tomorrow to see if my yellow tang is fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So when when I left this morning I fed the tank as normal and everyone ate, there were no issues at all. I come back 2 hours later and I see that my yellow tang is swimming in one spot of the tank but it’s breathing hard and swimming really lethargic (which I don’t know if that would be a word for fish). I call my lFS, rushed him there and he did the fresh water dip and moved him to a tank where we observed him. I have one other tang which is a purple and he was swimming fine even checking out the yellow kinda checking if he’s ok but they do from time to time chase each other but the purple is smaller then the yellow to dominate the tank. Now my question is the yellow was doing amazing this morning no issues then boom he’s swimming side to side breathing hard and freaked me out enough to yank him out the tank and rush him to my guy. At my LFS when we checked the yellow tang he had no abrasions, he’s nice and fat, no issues pretty much. Has anyone else ever ran into this issue because I am stumped and so my guy. Waiting on an update tomorrow to see if my yellow tang is fine.
Can be intimidation/agression leading the tang to crash into glass, or other object

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So - I couldn't tell from your post, the yellow tang is fine now that it was moved?

That is pretty odd. I'd agree with @vetteguy53081 - could have run into something in the tank and momentarily stunned itself.

Jay

OP
OP
gt4profession

gt4profession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - I couldn't tell from your post, the yellow tang is fine now that it was moved?

That is pretty odd. I'd agree with @vetteguy53081 - could have run into something in the tank and momentarily stunned itself.

Jay
Yellow tang has passed, no marks no signs of illness. I checked the water and everything is in line with what it should be. I have zero idea what could have been the issue. All the other fish are great except he was just acting weird.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back