Found dr reef yellow tang breathing on side

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were all small. It is not ammonia issue. I’ve done QT my own fish before and this is either ich, fluke, or velvet. All the other fish are eating and not light sensitive. I had the melanurus death after 3 days. Possibility the ornate leopard. Wrasses are really prone for flukes.
Ok so you refuse to answer some basic questions to try and help determine the source of your problem so I will just give you some advice to help you.

Patience is the primary objective is this hobby. If you drop way to many fish as you apparently did into a new tank with a beginning cycle you are walking the path to disaster as you now are witnessing. Stress leads to disease because the fish immune systems get compromised. New tanks do not have the biological support in place for large numbers of fish which leads to problems like 02 deprivation and other parameter fluctuations. Because things seem to be dying overnight that indicates 02 because tank 02 decreases overnight and if a new tank is overstocked like yours then you get dead fish in the morning.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Ok so you refuse to answer some basic questions to try and help determine the source of your problem so I will just give you some advice to help you.

Patience is the primary objective is this hobby. If you drop way to many fish as you apparently did into a new tank with a beginning cycle you are walking the path to disaster as you now are witnessing. Stress leads to disease because the fish immune systems get compromised. New tanks do not have the biological support in place for large numbers of fish which leads to problems like 02 deprivation and other parameter fluctuations. Because things seem to be dying overnight that indicates 02 because tank 02 decreases overnight and if a new tank is overstocked like yours then you get dead fish in the morning.
Please before you make assumptions read carefully the first post and every post in this thread.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I went and got some prazi. He was still swimming into the flow. I dosed prazi and after a minute or two he did a head shake. Got airstone and my
Skimmer cup off overflowing going full blast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I went and got some prazi. He was still swimming into the flow. I dosed prazi and after a minute or two he did a head shake. Got airstone and my
We have a medic team for a reason. Please dont feel insulted. Prazi is an infredient of quarantining and with application and skimmer- Please note:
To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We have a medic team for a reason. Please dont feel insulted. Prazi is an ingredient of quarantining and with application and skimmer- Please note:
To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We have a medic team for a reason. Please dont feel insulted. Prazi is an ingredient of quarantining and with application and skimmer- Please note:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were all small. It is not ammonia issue. I’ve done QT my own fish before and this is either ich, fluke, or velvet. All the other fish are eating and not light sensitive. I had the melanurus death after 3 days. Possibility the ornate leopard. Wrasses are really prone for flukes.

For sure stay in touch with the dealer.....

Loss from flukes is very gradual, typically over weeks. Ich of course will show white spots. Velvet causes rapid breathing and then death in a majority of the fish. Acclimation issues start from day one and tend to get better over time (unless the fish die early on). I can't recall - what salinity does Dr. Reef ship at?

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0

For sure stay in touch with the dealer.....

Loss from flukes is very gradual, typically over weeks. Ich of course will show white spots. Velvet causes rapid breathing and then death in a majority of the fish. Acclimation issues start from day one and tend to get better over time (unless the fish die early on). I can't recall - what salinity does Dr. Reef ship at?
I don’t know. I just acclimate with a hybrid of what he sugggests. I drip full flow with a heater, airstone, and wavemaker. Then I periodically add tank water like he wants you to do. It’s pretty low. I just go until I match my salinity.

He suggest prazi too. I remember reading about prazi resistant flukes back in 2019.

I’ve always QTed my own stuff but this go around I just wanted it done for me because it’s time consuming and a pain. I’ve dealt with personally internal parasites, ich, velvet, and flukes before.

To recap:

It’s a 145g total water volume. It had flaming prawn goby, two clowns, tailspot blenny, and dwarf possum wrasse. All cycled.

Thursday, I added all at once. 3-4 inch kole, 2 inch yellow tang, 6 small lyretail anthia, 2 court jester goby, springeri damsel, cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and melanurus wrasse. All juvenile except the melanurus.

All were looking good. The leopard and melanurus went into sand. I haven’t seen leopard since.

I added approx 30 cycles live rock. I added xlm bacteria daily according to instructions just in case.

So added Thursday. So Sunday night I got off work and found the melanurus dead.

I work 12 hour shifts and I worked Friday-Sunday 7a to 7p. Fish are in sleep mode when I get home

I don’t remember seeing the yellow tang yesterday, but one anthia did flash twice, but didn’t see anything else.

The yellow didn’t eat much from when I was home. It arrived bone white and skinny.

Today I found it and thought it was dead. It wasn’t so I put it in sump and started hospital tank water and etc. he still wasn’t moving so I got him and put him in front of wave maker and he perked up and was able to swim. He has that pimple like thing on left side of his body.

My RO elite 200 INT skimmer has been running full blast and air the past 2 weeks to see if it improves my ph. I left it overflowing and added an airstone just in case.

All the fish was looking normal except recently today the kole was hiding. Everything else wasn’t hiding. Everybody looks good right. Is post prazi treatment. Kole is out eating.

So it’s not ammonia, salinity, nitrate, phosphate, oxygen, and etc because it isn’t affecting everybody. My skimmer definitely providing enough air and I have 4 mp40s and 2 xf350 gyres going with plenty of surface agitation.

It’s not acclimation issues because it’s already day 6.

It has to be velvet, ich, or flukes from the symptoms of swimming into flow of yellow tang, and not eating. It did hide a little bit the first day but don’t all new additions.

Wrasses are fluke prone. Something killed the melanurus wrasse. The ornate leopard is probably dead, but they can be really really shy. I’m counting on it being dead, but who knows.

All the other fish are eating well

Velvet would have killed them already. Ich usually doesn’t kill if healthy. No ich or velvet signs. No flashing except the one anthia.

I did dose prazi, and it did do a head shake shortly after it.

It is currently swimming into the flow.

The only thing it seems like and most likely is, is flukes.

All fish and inverts came from dr reef. It’s possible to have prazi resistant flukes. I hope not. All QT vendors aren’t always 100% even if you pay for it.

It’s still not looking great for it.

I think that’s everything. Might of missed something in recap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
You mean the post you just recently edited a short bit ago? ....lol..... good luck, you're gonna need it.
You’re a pretty crappy person to not read the original post, and full thread, then blame me on an “edit”

Edit: btw that edit was before you even posted the first time

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it appears you added 13 fish to (if your current tank thread is accurate) a 125 gallon tank. Some being heavy bioload fish (the tangs primarily) others highly active with multiple feedings (anthias and cleaner wrasse). While there may be some disease from stress, sounds more like the bio capacity of the tank couldn’t handle the number of fish which is causing issues. But that’s just a guess.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please before you make assumptions read carefully the first post and every post in this thread.
If I shove you and 12 of your friends in dark bags with a bit of air and no bathroom... and ship you overnight through a very rough set of circumstances, I don't expect all of you will look good at the other end. In fact, most of you will be lucky to arrive alive and those that do will be lucky to recover instead of perishing in the process.

There may be disease (I doubt there is given the description), but you can't discount the circumstances of the journey and the fact that ANYTHING that arrives alive (even if barely) beat astronomical astronomical odds.

You are gambling one way or the other. LFS, no QT and you don't see the huge portion of fish they flush with each shipment. DR. Reef and other mail order QT vendors... They can't 100% remove all disease, but they do a pretty darn good job. The tradeoff, you take the high risk of shipping into your own hands.

I think you are lucky to have only a loss or two in that size order and from what I have read, I don't see a positive diagnosis of anything other than the result of shipping fish in a bag..... If you can provide some answers to some of the experts questions, then they can help you diagnose, as your self diagnosis appears to be somewhat off.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it appears you added 13 fish to (if your current tank thread is accurate) a 125 gallon tank. Some being heavy bioload fish (the tangs primarily) others highly active with multiple feedings (anthias and cleaner wrasse). While there may be some disease from stress, sounds more like the bio capacity of the tank couldn’t handle the number of fish which is causing issues. But that’s just a guess.
I want a reef and I want it NOW.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
If I shove you and 12 of your friends in dark bags with a bit of air and no bathroom... and ship you overnight through a very rough set of circumstances, I don't expect all of you will look good at the other end. In fact, most of you will be lucky to arrive alive and those that do will be lucky to recover instead of perishing in the process.

There may be disease, but you can't discount the circumstances of the journey and the fact that ANYTHING that arrives alive, even if barely beat astronomical astronomical odds.

You are gambling one way or the other. LFS, no QT and you don't see the huge portion of fish they flush with each shipment. DR. Reef and other mail order QT vendors... They can't 100% remove all disease, but they do a pretty darn good job. The tradeoff, you take the high risk of shipping into your own hands.
Shipping has nothing to do with day 6 after shipping, swimming into flow. As I said, everybody looked good day of, and all day that day.

Shipping doesn’t cause flashing, hiding from light, loss of appetite, and swimming into the flow on day 6 of having them.

It’s a disease. What it is, still up on the air but going with flukes because no one has offered any other reason. Poor guy is still nose deep into the sump weir flow

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re a pretty crappy person to not read the original post, and full thread, then blame me on an “edit”

Edit: btw that edit was before you even posted the first time
I'm sure everything will work out fine for you. It appears you are an internet expert and things always work out great for internet experts.

Yes you changed your post after I read it. I asked you twice for specific info and you refused to answer nor did you simply state it was already in your first post which it obviously was not originally.

Bottom line is you have no patience and as an internet expert you thought everything would be fine dumping what 13 fish? Into a new tank barely up and running.

Hopefully you actually learn something from all your fish losses.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I had big tangs, 13 fish when my old 150g popped. I had them in a 40g breeder for a month. I put them all in the new 150g tank with just bottled bacteria, and prime with dry scape and dry sand. No issues. No losses. More than 2x the bioload right now. That’s on top of adding a crap ton of already cycled rock on top of the tank’s cycled rock. A 137g, 60x25x22.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping has nothing to do with day 6 after shipping, swimming into flow.
I don't see how you can come that conclusion. It may take a fish weeks to recover from the stress of shipping, a new environment and new chemistry. One happy day or a few hours does does not a healthy fish make.

Shipping doesn’t cause flashing, hiding from light, loss of appetite, and swimming into the flow on day 6 of having them.
Of course it does.

it’s a disease. What it is, still up on the air but going with flukes because no one has offered any other reason. Poor guy is still nose deep into the sump weir flow
It may be, and it may be a fish that is struggling to recover.

You came here for help, but appear to be telling the experts that you know more than they do. Nobody can help you because you are too busy telling them they are wrong and you are right.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I'm sure everything will work out fine for you. It appears you are an internet expert and things always work out great for internet experts.

Yes you changed your post after I read it. I asked you twice for specific info and you refused to answer nor did you simply state it was already in your first post which it obviously was not originally.

Bottom line is you have no patience and as an internet expert you thought everything would be fine dumping what 13 fish? Into a new tank barely up and running.

Hopefully you actually learn something from all your fish losses.
Lie all you want man. I’m not an expert. It’s why I asked here and up front with everything. If your not going to help, go about your way.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond the bioload, 13 fish trying to establish territory and acclimate all at once is going to cause major stress as well. Stress from shipping doesn't help. I have a 150g, used bottled bac and have 13 fish. Added over several months, no issues. No shot I would've added them at once. Bottled bac is not a miracle work, and nothing in the hobby is. These fish are shipped overseas, dropped in a tank, bagged again and shipped, and dropped in another new tank. Slow is the only way to go.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I don't see how you can come that conclusion. It may take a fish weeks to recover from the stress of shipping, a new environment and new chemistry. One happy day or a few hours does does not a healthy fish make.

Of course it does.

It may be, and it may be a fish that is struggling to recover.

You came here for help, but appear to be telling the experts that you know more than they do. Nobody can help you because you are too busy telling them they are wrong and you are right.
I’m not telling they are wrong. It is very frustrating to have enough cycled rock to prevent a cycle, prevent nitrite/ammonia issues. I went beyond by even adding bacteria and I probably didn’t need to but I did. Everyone is harping on too many fish added at once when the evidence isn’t putting to that.

It’s like buying live rock and telling a newbie to add ammonia and wait 2 months when there is enough bacteria to support the fish they just added.

I added prazi and it shook its head. Everything points toward flukes. It might not be, but for gods sake I have a fish with obviously pointing toward a disease and everyone is saying oh too many too fast. I had to had adult tangs with 13 fish to a un cycled 150g tank with just bottled bacteria and prime and had zero issues. They didn’t skip a beat.

It may be something else, besides flukes but by god no one will offer a disease view point.

I can give my best view in writing what’s happening, but I’m right here standing by the tank giving the best of what’s going on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back