Red algae ID

FingersCrossed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would appreciate any help to identify this algae (or bacteria?) and advice for removal.

I've managed to remove most of the thick growth with a combination of small hermit crabs and a lot of manual removal. Now I'm left with a thin red growth over most of the rock. At some point I thought it could be cyano and I tried Chemiclean treatment, but it did nothing at all, so I assume it's not cyano.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MTS_0220-002.JPG MTS_0221-001.JPG

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting your parameters in order is probably step one. Algae turf scrubber is probably a good idea.

OP
OP
F

FingersCrossed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters seem good and have generally been similar to what I'm measuring now:

Nitrate: 2.5ppm
PO4: <.03
Mg: 1270
Ca: 370
KH: 7.5
Salinity: 1.024

It's a 120G tank with 3 small fish. The tank was a fresh start last year and I never added more fish or corals because I've continuously had issues with algae (and I think dinos earlier).

I only feed once a day, and only what the fish eat within a couple of minutes. And I'm only running the actinic lights for 2 hrs a day. No white lights.

I recently added a bunch of small hermit crabs and trochus snails which have helped a bit, but really only made a small dent in the algae. I've removed a lot of algae manually -- most of the tufty stuff is gone now -- but the rocks are still covered with red layer that doesn't pull/brush off.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters seem good and have generally been similar to what I'm measuring now:

Nitrate: 2.5ppm
PO4: <.03
Mg: 1270
Ca: 370
KH: 7.5
Salinity: 1.024

It's a 120G tank with 3 small fish. The tank was a fresh start last year and I never added more fish or corals because I've continuously had issues with algae (and I think dinos earlier).

I only feed once a day, and only what the fish eat within a couple of minutes. And I'm only running the actinic lights for 2 hrs a day. No white lights.

I recently added a bunch of small hermit crabs and trochus snails which have helped a bit, but really only made a small dent in the algae. I've removed a lot of algae manually -- most of the tufty stuff is gone now -- but the rocks are still covered with red layer that doesn't pull/brush off.

Remember, algae consumes nutrients. So they are surely higher than your tests show.

Have you considered or tried H202 dosing?

OP
OP
F

FingersCrossed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, algae consumes nutrients. So they are surely higher than your tests show.

Have you considered or tried H202 dosing?
Thanks. I understand that the algae must be getting the nutrients from somewhere -- I'm just not sure how the minimal feeding I'm doing could provide that much for the algae to feast on.

I haven't tried H2O2 dosing -- are there any big risks to that?

I also can do a blackout -- I've previously done that with some success against dinos, but haven't tried with this new algae growth.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I understand that the algae must be getting the nutrients from somewhere -- I'm just not sure how the minimal feeding I'm doing could provide that much for the algae to feast on.

I haven't tried H2O2 dosing -- are there any big risks to that?

I also can do a blackout -- I've previously done that with some success against dinos, but haven't tried with this new algae growth.

When it comes to H202, the main risks are for shrimp, like cleaners.

Personally, I dose 1ml per 10 gallons to my system, two weeks now and have seen amazing results. Cyano disappeared and the small amount of turf algae is gone. Two times a day, morning and night.

Back