Red algae

Cheezehead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have started my tank back up again after moving into my new house. I am about 18 months up and running. I have pretty basic parameters and i do a 10% water change every Sunday. I have 6 fish and about 6 different corals, some rock flower anemones, and a rose bubble. I have had very little issues so far until this week. I have some weird looking algae growing all over my rock and across my sand in my tank. its causing my zoas and RFA to close up all the time. I measured all my parameters and i have not noticed a large change in them. Sort of looks like a form of diatoms. I did read something diatom starvation about not having nitrate and phosphate levels at zero, but my tank measures at zero for these parameters using red sea test kit. I don't add anything to keep these levels there it has just happened. The only think i have done different was i added a acan to my tank and i did a small does of reef chili for the corals that i have the week before. Not sure if that would have caused my problems. I have attached two pictures, one of the top of my rock and one of my sand.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cheezehead

20200210_180734.jpg 20200210_180749.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Cheezehead

Want to first say #WelcimetoR2R .if you like later on stop by meet and greet section to introduce yourself.

so, onto the ??s

From what I am seeing Dino is present. The recent addition, was it dipped or quarantine in ay way?

we will have other look for their opinions. whatever it is, can you give us more specific details ion tank. Let’s do size, lights, exact ph, temp, alk, calc, mag, what stock are in there. All that info is useful in putting a plan together

OP
OP
C

Cheezehead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. So my tank is 110 gal. i have 2 radion 30's on the tank. i do dip my corals before placing in tank. parameters are below:
ph 8.16
alk 8.7
calc 420
mag 1350

i have two electric maroon clown fish/rose anenome
hammer coral
fire and ice zoa
flame hawk
flame gobi
diam star gobi
2 monti corals
acan coral

Looking at pictures i think it is dinos. i have never had them before. I tried chemiclean because i had some from last time i had my tank up and it worked well but did nothing to this algae.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back