Red Bugs alternative interceptor treatment

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have some red bugs that i usually just dip my corals into bayers and they go away for a month. I did this while trying to get interceptor but the vet said no. I have heard of Dr. Gs and some other medication being used in conjunction that have the same active ingredients as interceptor. Does anyone know what it is and has had success using it. Also im in long island, NY if anyone has an extra interceptor lying around

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is a product called Dr. G’s. Does the job. It’s on eBay and maybe Amazon

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may also want to try a few different vets. Explain the situation, and take some printouts from R2R discussing the solution so they know you're not crushing it up and snorting it or something :)

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i will try, like what could someone possibly do with dog deworming medicine

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does dr. gs by itself work or just more risky or something than interceptor. Just wont to be sure before putting anything into the tank, obv i will try to catch my shrimp snails and hermit crabs and a week or 2 worth of chaeto (pods inside) to save the crustaceans, but is there anything else i need to worry about with these treatments?

idreaminblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished a treatment of Dr. G's for redbugs. I bought it off their official website and it arrived in two days. It's got the same ingredient as interceptor: Milbemcyn oxime. It also has Vitamin C, and RO/DI water, which shouldn't affect anything.
I did 0.2ml per gallon and that did the trick for me, but people have reported going up to 1ml per gallon without any affects on corals. I had no issues whatsoever, but it will stun/kill your crabs and pods.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have long term success with fully eradicating them or have they been known to come back with dr gs? And do you know how long to treat for with dr gs? Like is it between .2ml and 1ml per gallon per day and for how long?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
does dr. gs by itself work or just more risky or something than interceptor. Just wont to be sure before putting anything into the tank, obv i will try to catch my shrimp snails and hermit crabs and a week or 2 worth of chaeto (pods inside) to save the crustaceans, but is there anything else i need to worry about with these treatments?
Solely, safe and effective

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an dragon face pipefish that took care of a red bug infestation I had. Just make sure you have enough pods in your tank to keep them alive once they eaten all the red bugs though.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is also a great recommendation, havent seen em in a while though

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a dozen calls to vets trying to get a prescription. Eventually, one of them directed me to Stephen Frattini who was expensive but responsive.

The active ingredient is mylbemycine oxime.

I've done the standard 3 doses. I still have pods.
[email protected]

Last edited:

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought from here a couple years ago. Came through the mail.

That is one of things you can do in Canada that we, in the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave, cannot.

We can buy booze, guns, ammo and cigarettes in the same store, but dog heartworm medication has far too much potential for abuse. You're gonna need permission/prescription for that.

Can't make this stuff up.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Website only states not for shipping to Australia and Singapore.
We have much stricter regulations in Canada than the US does concerning aquarium meds and therefore I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to purchase from that site.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of things you can do in Canada that we, in the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave, cannot.

We can buy booze, guns, ammo and cigarettes in the same store, but dog heartworm medication has far too much potential for abuse. You're gonna need permission/prescription for that.

Can't make this stuff up.
I haven’t been to a Walmart in years

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Website only states not for shipping to Australia and Singapore.
We have much stricter regulations in Canada than the US does concerning aquarium meds and therefore I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to purchase from that site.
Thanks for the tip. It let me place an order.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will either work and does anyone know dosage of each, milbemax and interceptor? Milbemax just seems to have praziquantel in it as well which may help with the eradication but not sure, just kind of want to be done with these dang bugs

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually i have a leopard wrasse and i would be worried about using the prazi, decided to try the interceptor site, hope it ships. thank you guys for all the help, may try to add a pipefish in as well after i reintroduce the pods

Back