Red bugs and new interceptor plus

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Sorry if this post is in the wrong spot, or redundant, but im having trouble finding help.

Ive got red bugs and am cannot find a vet in Massachusetts to prescribe interceptor. I did find something called interceptor plus which im told is the new medication.
Can i use this in my tank, or is there anyone who has regular interceptor or anything else to kill the red bugs?
Thanks
20190114_003516.jpg

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually work with a veterinarian, I've never used the stuff in my tank but I can eye out the most desirable ingredient in most medications. In this case the praziquantel (which we use in an injectable form for deworming cats with tapeworms) is most likely your key player. From what I know praziquantel is reef safe but will annihilate worms in your tank including nice looking feather dusters (if you have any). I'd try to find an aquarium grade product for praziquantel.

td;dr: Find an aquarium approved version of praziquantel; interceptor has a ton of junk in it that makes it appealing to dogs and cats / on the other hand the stuff that we use right out of the vial might be really hard to measure out a proper dose.

OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Anything you can do to help. Point me in the right direction i will be forever grateful

OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy it outside the US via mail. There are websites you can do this. do your research.
Yes sir i have looked into this and all i can find is flavored tabs. Interceptor plus.
Thats why i was asking if anyone has used it

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The additional ingredient in that product compared to the standard Interceptor is praziquantel. Prazi is a commonly used medication for treating flat worms. In the hobby it’s used to treat fish flukes (flat worm infection) in a hospital tank (qt). I know people sometimes use prazi in active reefs. The most common worms in reef tanks (at least as far I see) are bristle worms. I don’t think bristle worms would be affected by prazi (I asked once a long time ago if anyone had experience with this and someone said they have bristle worms in a qt tank that they frequently dose prazi to). I don’t know how the dose of praziquantel from interceptor plus for eradication of red bugs (intending to dose the milbemycin oxime) will compare to a standard prazi dose for treating flukes. My expectation is that the additional prazi won’t complicate the treatment but you will want to compare the amount of prazi you’ll be unintentionally dosing to the standard prazi dose.

I’m sure someone will chime in soon that has used interceptor plus for red bugs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back