Red bugs

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my first acro frag and it came with some red bugs. Small frag, less than 1 inch. It and a Mille 1 inch frag are the only acros in the tank. I do have some monti digi frags though. I dipped the acro frags in bayer. Do I need to repeatedly dip to call it safe? The acros are in a coral quarantine tank. Can’t do interceptor because of hermits and coco worms as well as pod farm.

Do you guys know if red bugs are live bearers or do they lay eggs?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my first acro frag and it came with some red bugs. Small frag, less than 1 inch. It and a Mille 1 inch frag are the only acros in the tank. I do have some monti digi frags though. I dipped the acro frags in bayer. Do I need to repeatedly dip to call it safe? The acros are in a coral quarantine tank. Can’t do interceptor because of hermits and coco worms as well as pod farm.

Do you guys know if red bugs are live bearers or do they lay eggs?
The dreaded Tegastes? Only Interceptor will wipe them. Thankfully, you have little lose at this point with two small frags. Your vendor on the other hand needs to be informed. You have a confirmed ID on the bugs? Pictures?

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dreaded Tegastes? Only Interceptor will wipe them. Thankfully, you have little lose at this point with two small frags. Your vendor on the other hand needs to be informed. You have a confirmed ID on the bugs? Pictures?
No confirmed ID, but almost positive it is. Saw 2 bugs crawling on my green slimer. Will multiple bayer dips eradicate them given it’s just two small frags?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No confirmed ID, but almost positive it is. Saw 2 bugs crawling on my green slimer. Will multiple bayer dips eradicate them given it’s just two small frags?
If they are crawling on live flesh, they are not safe pods. I cannot confirm either way with any personal experience as I quit Bayer several years ago. It is very gentle on acropora for sure, just a pain to frequently handle the stuff. I switched to KCl. Given how quickly it kills pods of many/most varieties, it might serve better.

That said, the "conventional knowledge" around here and RC is Interceptor.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red bugs don’t lay eggs so one tank treatment with interceptor should wipe out any in the tank if done correctly. You could be successful with dips using Bayer. It was used originally to prevent red bugs because not many other dips actually affected them, though I am not sure if it actually kills them. I would love to see a picture if you can get one. If they are in your tank already you will probably need to do multiple dips, because they could wander off the coral into the tank while your doing the dips.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB and @Graffiti Spot, thank you both for the information.

It sounds like I need to source some interceptor. I can remove my hermit crabs and coco worms to treat, but it is a bummer to lose the munid isopods and copepods in the tank. I hope their populations can bounce back.

As a secondary thought, if bayer is effective in knocking off red bugs which do not lay eggs, could I simply dip the coral and place it in a different tank without concern? I could even cut if off the plug too.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturated KCl will kill those not hiding in gastrovascular cavities (inside coral polyps). Due to the harsh nature of KCl dips, you can’t leave corals in them long enough to get all of the bugs.

To get all of them, milbemycin oxime (Interceptor) and ivermectin work. Milbemycin is difficult to come by, poorly soluble, and may need elevated dosing to get all of the bugs. In tank treatments have been done although inverts should be removed first.

Ivermectin (1% solution from Tractor Supply) at 2 ml/2.5 gallons for 1-6 hours is very effective at killing Tegastes. Problem with ivermectin is that it must be used outside of your tank (it will get into your sand and rock), it’s easy to accidentally contaminate your tank with dipped corals (even following a post-dip bath in clean saltwater), and if you do contaminate your tank, you’ll find all of your snails/inverts dead the next day (ask me how I know). Also, ivermectin disposal is an issue as it is very slow to break down in the environment.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB and @Graffiti Spot, thank you both for the information.

It sounds like I need to source some interceptor. I can remove my hermit crabs and coco worms to treat, but it is a bummer to lose the munid isopods and copepods in the tank. I hope their populations can bounce back.

As a secondary thought, if bayer is effective in knocking off red bugs which do not lay eggs, could I simply dip the coral and place it in a different tank without concern? I could even cut if off the plug too.
I do not believe Bayer will be effective. Can't hurt to try, as it is one of the mildest dips on acros I have ever used. I don't use it anymore though. KCl works better for me and is much easier to handle.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back