Red Dragon Pump

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the BRS site, royal exclusiv pumps are listed under submersible pumps and not external. I dont see anything on their site about it but my question is. Can the red dragon be used externally?

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever use the feed mode which is built into the pump to turn off while feeding (no controller required?)

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use it via the controller on my 150W. Also use it on the DC200 skimmer w/apex controller.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it via the controller on my 150W. Also use it on the DC200 skimmer w/apex controller.
It looks like you dont need a controller to use it though and can set it on the a screen that comes with pump right?

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the 150W yes the Controller (Screen) has a feed mode that you set as to how long you want the pump to remain off. As for the skimmer, feed mode works via the Apex with the Apex Interface Adapter.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 150W yes the Controller (Screen) has a feed mode that you set as to how long you want the pump to remain off. As for the skimmer, feed mode works via the Apex with the Apex Interface Adapter.
OK just so I am clear...
The return pump can be set to feed mode without controller
Skimmer pump cannot be set to feed mode and would need a controller
Right?

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you, I emailed BRS yesterday and asked them if I could run the Red Dragon 3 Speedy Pump 100 watt (3100gph) externally and they told me no. I would like to run it externally or can I only run it internally like BRS said?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Question for you, I emailed BRS yesterday and asked them if I could run the Red Dragon 3 Speedy Pump 100 watt (3100gph) externally and they told me no. I would like to run it externally or can I only run it internally like BRS said?
I'm at a loss as to why they said that. They are made to be run both ways. Someone made a mistake.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My RD3 pumps have been plumbed externally since 2017 with no issues.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@slief

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at a loss as to why they said that. They are made to be run both ways. Someone made a mistake.
This is what they said, I'm as confused as you so now I don't know what to do.
Hello, Brian Lettow!

Your question regarding product Red Dragon 3 Speedy Pump 100 Watt (3100 GPH) - Royal Exclusiv has been answered.

Your Question:
Can this pump be run externally?
Answer:
Hey there, Thank you for reaching out to us. No, this is an internal only pump. Please let me know if you need anything further and take care!
If you don't want these updates anymore, you can unsubscribe here.

Regards,
BRS Customer Support Team

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the BRS site, royal exclusiv pumps are listed under submersible pumps and not external. I dont see anything on their site about it but my question is. Can the red dragon be used externally?
Yes. The RD3 pumps are designed for both internal and external use. The 150w and 230w controllers have a feed mode function but if you are using an internal skimmer and run feed mode, the skimmer will overflow due to the sump level change.

Personally, I think put return pumps into feed mode is just plain silly. Doing so allows food to settle into the rocks and substrate resulting in more organic matter in the tank and ultimately higher nitrates vs waste going over the overflow and into the sump where it can be exported. Keeping the pump flowing helps keep the food suspended and allows the food to be distributed throughout the tank so that all corals and fish get some food. Using feed mode will often result in less aggressive fish to not eat as well since they avoid the feed frenzy when a bunch of food is dumped into the water.

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The RD3 pumps are designed for both internal and external use. The 150w and 230w controllers have a feed mode function but if you are using an internal skimmer and run feed mode, the skimmer will overflow due to the sump level change.

Personally, I think put return pumps into feed mode is just plain silly. Doing so allows food to settle into the rocks and substrate resulting in more organic matter in the tank and ultimately higher nitrates vs waste going over the overflow and into the sump where it can be exported. Keeping the pump flowing helps keep the food suspended and allows the food to be distributed throughout the tank so that all corals and fish get some food. Using feed mode will often result in less aggressive fish to not eat as well since they avoid the feed frenzy when a bunch of food is dumped into the water.
Thank you!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back