Red Dragon RD3 speedy 80W replacement?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that the RD3 80W option has been discontinued, with no replacement? What is the story behind that?

I have a basement sump for a 40g breeder DT that requires a pump that has the performance profile of the 80W RD3. Since this is not available, I have pressed my Vectra L1 into service as my return pump, but after just three days of running at about 80% to get the flow I want to the DT upstairs, the L1 is already starting to drift in terms of output. I have a beananimal overflow on the DT, and I'm constantly hearing the sound of siphons making/breaking in the secondary drain because the L1 flow varies just enough to mess with the bean tune.

I decided I want to replace the L1 in this application. I could go with the larger 150W RD3, but that is a more powerful pump than I need. The Abyzz A100 is closer to the performance curve that I am looking for, but it's $1300, ouch. I am set up for a submersed pump, and I would rather not switch it to an external option. I've been searching here for an alternative, and I keep coming back to the Abyzz or the larger RD3.

Anyone know why Royal Exclusiv discontinued the 80w model - is there a replacement planned?

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the royal exclusive website I think they just released a small model. I’m not sure how many w.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I remember talking ( last year) with @slief about a 80 watt pump I had found on ebay and he told me they were getting ready to release a 100 watt pump.
The price I found on the new 80 watt pump made it too hard to pass up.
I've been very happy with it ever since.

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we are still waiting the release of the RD3 80w replacement which has been rumored to be a 100w model but there is no official release date of the 80w replacement let alone final specs or pricing. The newest pump to our lineup is the RD5 Eco 25 watt pump. While it would be a great fit for a 40 gallon display, I don't think it would be well suited for a basement sump setup where higher head heights are a factor. There is also the RD3 50 which would also be a great pump for a 40 gallon setup but again, the head height needs to be considered as it has a max head of about 3.5 meters which isn't ideal for a basement sump application.

OP
OP
foxt

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The 80W seemed to be right in the sweet spot for what I needed, and I would expect the replacement to be a close fit as well - somewhere between the 50w and the 150w. Alas, I just needed it to be available now, vs. "tbd".

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back