red goni not doing welll

traveldrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a goni 3 weeks ago it was doing well then i notice it was not acting right so i moved it to lower light then it started to get better then it got worse again

8C558373-CAF0-40B2-ADA0-5AB0757FB2D6.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Realize that goni is a coral of mystery in which it is doing great then all of sudden it is not. This is one that will also challenge the most experienced reefer. Goniopora is a photosynthetic coral so they derive some of their nutritional requirements from light creating zooxanthellae that live in the flesh of the coral. Zooxanthellae is usually brown in color and the coral tightly regulates the population living in its flesh. Too little light will cause the coral to turn brown in color.
Do not blast Goniopora with a lot of light. If you start to see the coral starting to turn lighter and bleach out, it is likely the result of high lighting intensity. When in doubt, favor lower lighting intensities until it is clear that the coral is demanding more. Another mistake reefers make is providing them with too much flow. If you have a powerhead blowing right at Goniopora from short range, it may kill off some of the tissue at that point of contact and cause a chain reaction to the rest of the colony.
Goniopora appreciate low to medium flow, but preferably with some randomness to it. That way you will get that gentle waving motion which helps keep the coral clean and brings food past the colony. If you see the tentacles violently thrashing about, that is probably too much flow and it would benefit from being relocated to a more calm section of the tank.
Lack of food is a big issue with these coral and there are two types of food to provide Goniopora. The first is amino acids that build proteins as well as other biological functions at the cellular level. Corals regularly take in available amino acids from the water column so it is easy to provide them with adequate quantities by broadcast feeding an amino acid solution. The second type of food is dry powdered plankton such as reef roids. There are other types on the market.
The general consensus with these is to keep Phosphate levels around .05 ppm and Nitrate levels between 10-15 ppm. This is a safe zone that not too many people will dispute.

OP
OP
T

traveldrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tested my water and my ammonia and nitrates are zero do you think that is problem

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought 1 a year ago little longer size of a quarter grew it to a softball size... then like 2 weeks ago it just started peeling away took like 5 days and it was gone.
Water tank all good idk but like vetteguy said it's a coral of mystery and everything I read it just happens.
It bummed me out but it happens I guess.
Good luck with yours and hoping for the best !

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back