Red lyretail anthias white stringy poop

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brand new red lyretail anthias has white stringy poop. He is in my QT tank 20gallons, live rock, aged, likely has ich. I purchased him on Valentine’s Day and he was at LFS for 1 week and eating pellet food! He is shy for sure but is swimming in middle column of tank until I enter room… then he hides between 2 rocks and watches me. He is rejecting food from what I can tell? I have fed blood worms, my sis and fresh clams from the sea food counter. He bites the food and spits it out? I am culturing pods and just threw some in and he perked up and ate them.

how do I treat white stringy poop or do I just observe? I had thought prazipro was the answer for white stringy poop but just read other threads before I posted and that doesn’t seem to always be the cure?

I already named this fish valentine and I really want him to join my 180 reef! If he works out I was also going to get him a harem :)

DA1E50F7-8989-4D80-9C41-9F9F421EC5C3.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My brand new red lyretail anthias has white stringy poop. He is in my QT tank 20gallons, live rock, aged, likely has ich. I purchased him on Valentine’s Day and he was at LFS for 1 week and eating pellet food! He is shy for sure but is swimming in middle column of tank until I enter room… then he hides between 2 rocks and watches me. He is rejecting food from what I can tell? I have fed blood worms, my sis and fresh clams from the sea food counter. He bites the food and spits it out? I am culturing pods and just threw some in and he perked up and ate them.

how do I treat white stringy poop or do I just observe? I had thought prazipro was the answer for white stringy poop but just read other threads before I posted and that doesn’t seem to always be the cure?

I already named this fish valentine and I really want him to join my 180 reef! If he works out I was also going to get him a harem :)

DA1E50F7-8989-4D80-9C41-9F9F421EC5C3.jpeg
The white stringy poo is not always an internal parasite issue requiring treatment but especially seeing that its eatiny Mysis shrimp, It may be excess mucus. Also the fish is a bashful species overall and will take time to eat in your presence. Some foods to offer other than mysis are:
Plankton
spirulina brine shrimp
chopped krill
Tdo pellets
mysis flakes
LRS fish frenzy

Lower white intensity and try this: set your cell phone on video mode for about 20 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Review the video and see if it ate as you were gone.. . then you'll know.

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white stringy poo is not always an internal parasite issue requiring treatment but especially seeing that its eatiny Mysis shrimp, It may be excess mucus. Also the fish is a bashful species overall and will take time to eat in your presence. Some foods to offer other than mysis are:
Plankton
spirulina brine shrimp
chopped krill
Tdo pellets
mysis flakes
LRS fish frenzy

Lower white intensity and try this: set your cell phone on video mode for about 20 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Review the video and see if it ate as you were gone.. . then you'll know.
Ahhh great idea re the video! I hope he is eating… and yes he totally knows when I’m in the room. WHY would he hide from me now??? At the LFS he was not shy and in fact was soooo showy that I hade to purchase him even tho liveaquaria was offered the same fish at way less!! He was dancing in front of me! And ate pellet food!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ahhh great idea re the video! I hope he is eating… and yes he totally knows when I’m in the room. WHY would he hide from me now??? At the LFS he was not shy and in fact was soooo showy that I hade to purchase him even tho liveaquaria was offered the same fish at way less!! He was dancing in front of me! And ate pellet food!!
Its a new environment with different light and flow and it needs to adjust. Do the video trick as I suspect he is eating.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back