Red Macroalgea

JJMS86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never owned a tang before now...someone told me to get red macroalgea for it to eat...So went to LFS, bought some, but never asked what I do with it once home (toooooo tired after work)
Anyway, wasnt sure...so I drained it and put it in a seaweed clip attached to the glass for the night, LOL
So, is that ok?
Do I take it out...or does it just stay there until it's all eaten? (well hopefully the tang likes and eats it!)

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. Is the red algae alive? Then it may be OK.

It it's dead (you probably wouldn't have had to drain it) then it depends on how big it is. If the tang doesn't est it in a day, it will rot in the tank.

Feeding live red algae is OK. But it's much easier to get nori that is dry and cut a small section and put it in a clip. You'll figure out quickly (over a few feedings) how big a piece so use. You want it gone in an hour or two, IMHO.

I have 2 tangs and I do 2 pieces about 3"x2" in one clip. I also cut it into strips after I fit it in the clip. The tangs pull at one and it will tear off. Then the tang can swim away with it. Some times it looks like it's eating spaghetti as it sucks the strip in.

OP
OP
J

JJMS86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. Is the red algae alive? Then it may be OK.

It it's dead (you probably wouldn't have had to drain it) then it depends on how big it is. If the tang doesn't est it in a day, it will rot in the tank.

Feeding live red algae is OK. But it's much easier to get nori that is dry and cut a small section and put it in a clip. You'll figure out quickly (over a few feedings) how big a piece so use. You want it gone in an hour or two, IMHO.

I have 2 tangs and I do 2 pieces about 3"x2" in one clip. I also cut it into strips after I fit it in the clip. The tangs pull at one and it will tear off. Then the tang can swim away with it. Some times it looks like it's eating spaghetti as it sucks the strip in.
Thank you for answering!
I've dried the nori sheets and she won't eat it, same with algea flake food... so thought I'd try the LIVE red algea....
When I left this morning she hadn't eaten any yet...
I'll take the rest out when I get home tonight.
I've also tried all sorts of frozen foods, blood worms and even the dry pellets in my Auto-Feeder.
She seems to see everyone else eating and maybe gets 1 or 2 pellets, but then goes back to her hunting/pecking at the live rock....
Interesting behavior...kinda oblivious...
Just trying to keep her fed and healthy!

I'll try your tip about cutting the nori into strips...if she doesn't try it at least the Mollies will eat it...they are lil piglets!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first 2 tangs and an angel for my big tank.
As with all my fish, while in QT (TTM) I feed them live worms. Both black and white. Also the live brine shrimp I get at the LFS. I place the brine shrimp in a cone hatchery and feed some phyto to make them a bit more nutritional.
I also feed some frozen stuff to get them used to it. I tried the nori on a rock trick, but have never seen them nibble at it. I think they see me coming and hide.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs didn't know what the nori was for the first few days. Then one day when they didn't eat it, I lowered it to the sand and the clean up crew went after it. Before it was all gone the tangs were eating too! Now they come to my side of the tank and watch me when I'm cutting it up for them!

OP
OP
J

JJMS86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs didn't know what the nori was for the first few days. Then one day when they didn't eat it, I lowered it to the sand and the clean up crew went after it. Before it was all gone the tangs were eating too! Now they come to my side of the tank and watch me when I'm cutting it up for them!
Thanks for the idea .I'll try that tomorrow!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back