Fish stopped eating nori

FolkLoreReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g dt with a 29g sump with 2 clowns, lawnmower blenny, hector goby , mystery wrasse and a white tail bristle tooth tang.
My mystery wrasse and tang up until 3-4 days ago would love them a good nori on a clip, but now they swim up to it like they want to eat it but then they almost scoff at the nori I don’t understand it. I’ve kept the nori sealed and tried to keep the air out of it doesn’t seem stale or anything.
My question is does nori go bad or can it develop an off flavor for the fish? Or is it a normal thing and just let it be? All this occurred after a maintenance day so I chalked it up to that but it’s been I few days now, I wouldn’t be concerned other than my tang is very shy doesn’t really eat much during feeding but used to be very enthusiastic about the nori but now swims up to eat like he’s about to chomp down and swims away at the last second idk

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried feeding a different type? Mine will do that sometime if I feed the same type over and over. I usually try to alternate types every week or so.

OP
OP
FolkLoreReefKeeping

FolkLoreReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried feeding a different type? Mine will do that sometime if I feed the same type over and over. I usually try to alternate types every week or so.
Yea I have green and red
I’ve put some garlic guard on some to see if that would intice them but nothing kinda strange to me
My mystery eats everything that’s why I’m wondering if nori goes bad or anything cause he won’t even touch it

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine in the fridge once the bag is open. Maybe stop feeding it for a few days and try again with a new package. I get mine from the sushi section at the grocery store.
Kindly forgive my ignorance...what type or name of nori do you get from the sushi section at the grocery store, and secondly, how long does it last (stay fresh?) in the fridge? My blenny and molly stopped eating the nori i have in pouch feeder; they used to eat it all up/attacked it before I could get my hand out of the tank, and now the either give me the evil eye or a "talk to the fin" attitude. I have tried Julian Sprung, Ocean Nutrition, Omega One, LRS, and red, purple, green seaweed/nori to no avail. My tank is odd in that I have no observable algae other than couple tufts of bryopsis.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they eating otherwise?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kindly forgive my ignorance...what type or name of nori do you get from the sushi section at the grocery store, and secondly, how long does it last (stay fresh?) in the fridge? My blenny and molly stopped eating the nori i have in pouch feeder; they used to eat it all up/attacked it before I could get my hand out of the tank, and now the either give me the evil eye or a "talk to the fin" attitude. I have tried Julian Sprung, Ocean Nutrition, Omega One, LRS, and red, purple, green seaweed/nori to no avail. My tank is odd in that I have no observable algae other than couple tufts of bryopsis.
Any brand will do, as long as it’s 100% nori. One package lasts 2-3 weeks and it stays fresh in the fridge.

That’s the one I buy (I’m from Canada).
1710012600767.jpeg

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. The clowns are picky and eat small pellet TDS and ROE eggs. The two mollies eat TDS and frozen Brine, blenny eats frozen brine, occasional TDS pellet, and lately thank goodness, whatever is microscopic growing on rear wall of aquarium. One molly and the blenny eat freeze dried brine. Algae wafers, algae pellets, bottom dwellers pellets go untouched. Weird mixed up diets! Will try the fresh nori!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back