Red Mangrove trees looking quite sad

PotomacReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this is my first time with a mangrove tree in my system.

I have two mini trees ~ 12" and the original leaves have dried up and the leaves that haven't are soft and droopy. However, the roots are definitely growing.

-Nutrients: Phosphates are ~13ppb or lower (Hanna checker doesn't seem to go below 13ppb. Nitrates are non-existent (I run GFO and Carbon)
-Dose ALk, Calc (continuous) and trace elements (once a week)
- I also have chaeto under a white light for 14 hours a days
-I have them under T5 lights right now, do I need a more aggressive "grow light?" I have an aquaponics grow light that I can use in an external fuge setup.
-The roots aren't buried in anything, do they need to be in live sand?

Looking for any advice! Thanks!

red_mangrove_looking sad.png

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roots don't need to be buried. I've never used t5s for mangroves but I bet that is fine. They don't need much light. Have you tested mag? I believe that is the main nutrient mangroves use. Also have you been misting the leaves with fresh water often?

OP
OP
PotomacReef

PotomacReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roots don't need to be buried. I've never used t5s for mangroves but I bet that is fine. They don't need much light. Have you tested mag? I believe that is the main nutrient mangroves use. Also have you been misting the leaves with fresh water often?

T5s have a decent amount of white light ... I'm running the actintic and coral plus bulbs from ATI.

No! Haven't been misting the leaves, didn't realize that was a thing. Just use RO/DI or tap water? Since it's so close to the tank I think I should use RO/DI/

Magnesium is at 1300...I tested two weeks ago. I will test again today.

Also get those nitrates up!

This is going to be tough! I run carbon and a fuge

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately start misting the leaves! I keep a spray bottle of rodi next to my mangroves. I like to spray them once a day but some people do it twice a week. The fresh water keeps salt off of the leaves

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red mangroves in freshwater and it's shocking how much better they do than the ones I have in saltwater

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup mine likes lower salinity, misting and iron dosing, but mine is in a designated macro algae tank under 250 watts MH.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back