Red Mythrax Crab: Zoa Eater?

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a few new zoa frags and some of them are doing great, but one frag only has one of nine polyps open. Scratch that. One of eight, because one polyp is gone. I have a red mythrax crab and he was hanging out on the rock with the zoas on it today. Can they/do they eat zoas? What are the odds the zoa polyp coincidentally fell off or died unrelated to the crab? I've only seen him mess with my candycane coral, and that's only because he accidentally grabs tissue when trying to clean the skeleton. He's also irritating my 2 new duncan frags, but i don't think he is actually eating them. This isn't the first time I've mysteriously lost corals, but I though I removed the offenders already, who were a large hermit crab and a king crab, both caught in the act. I'd love to seperate him until the new corals seem open and healthy just to be safe, but I can't catch him! My whole structure is glued/epoxied together so it would be very destructive to forcibly remove him.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just bought a few new zoa frags and some of them are doing great, but one frag only has one of nine polyps open. Scratch that. One of eight, because one polyp is gone. I have a red mythrax crab and he was hanging out on the rock with the zoas on it today. Can they/do they eat zoas? What are the odds the zoa polyp coincidentally fell off or died unrelated to the crab? I've only seen him mess with my candycane coral, and that's only because he accidentally grabs tissue when trying to clean the skeleton. He's also irritating my 2 new duncan frags, but i don't think he is actually eating them. This isn't the first time I've mysteriously lost corals, but I though I removed the offenders already, who were a large hermit crab and a king crab, both caught in the act. I'd love to seperate him until the new corals seem open and healthy just to be safe, but I can't catch him! My whole structure is glued/epoxied together so it would be very destructive to forcibly remove him.
Place a glass in the tank leaned against rock. Add a piece of shrimp or meaty morsel to bottom of glass. Red will fall in and be unable to climb out of the glass.
Then you can sump it or give away.

Jeroen1975

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if there is nothing left to eat, even mithrax will eat what they can get.
I would try feeding it, but I also have to say I have the green type and haven't seen them eat coral...

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if there is nothing left to eat, even mithrax will eat what they can get.
I would try feeding it, but I also have to say I have the green type and haven't seen them eat coral...
There's no shortage of food at the moment. I don't have a bad hair algae infestation, but there are a few clumps around that he hasn't touched. I also feed the frozen green cubes (emerald feast or something) and he usually gets quite a bit of that. I'm worried he's trying to clean the polyps but is damaging them instead.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he started pulling of entire zoa and paly polyps so he had to go. He is currently hanging out in my local fish store.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same issue with emerald crabs. I caught them feasting on a healthy Acan. They live in my sump now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back