Red/Orange Sand.. Treat as Cyano?

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I recently get my nutrients down and beat the smaller algae issue I was having with help from a Reef Cleaners clean up crew. I also (just last night) lost my yellow face sleeper goby, I’m thinking either one of his tank buddies stressed him to death or maybe the CUC was so efficient it didn’t leave him enough to eat(however he normally ate well from whatever I was feeding the tank so the second option seems least likely). In the passed few days I have noticed my substrate getting significant enough red/orange coloration to it. I have a couple pictures that I know the quality is awful on due to my blues but I’m hoping someone can give me advice on how best to approach this issue. I’m actually thinking of avoiding another goby due to the mess he made so I’m interested in other options fellow R2R members may have for me. Thanks as always for the help!!

F6CB18B5-7561-40C1-9AF6-45519AB53BF1.jpeg 0A53B1CC-AF25-4429-BF52-7D53B2F74E53.jpeg

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I recently get my nutrients down and beat the smaller algae issue I was having with help from a Reef Cleaners clean up crew. I also (just last night) lost my yellow face sleeper goby, I’m thinking either one of his tank buddies stressed him to death or maybe the CUC was so efficient it didn’t leave him enough to eat(however he normally ate well from whatever I was feeding the tank so the second option seems least likely). In the passed few days I have noticed my substrate getting significant enough red/orange coloration to it. I have a couple pictures that I know the quality is awful on due to my blues but I’m hoping someone can give me advice on how best to approach this issue. I’m actually thinking of avoiding another goby due to the mess he made so I’m interested in other options fellow R2R members may have for me. Thanks as always for the help!!

F6CB18B5-7561-40C1-9AF6-45519AB53BF1.jpeg 0A53B1CC-AF25-4429-BF52-7D53B2F74E53.jpeg
My blues aren’t really this heavy this time of day it’s just how it looks through my phone and misplaced the filter I bought for this exact purpose. Also wanted to note that although the color looks brighter orange it is actually a red darkish orange color.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to turn off the blues then. Can't help with this pic.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your current parameters? Tank age?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate and phosphate bottoming out was my concern. Does this go away at night and come back during the lighting period?

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate and phosphate bottoming out was my concern. Does this go away at night and come back during the lighting period?
I wouldn’t say so I would say it has progressively gotten worse over the last week or so. My nutrients haven’t bottomed out in probably about six months or more, I have actually been working to slowly bring them down to healthy ranges after “dirtying” my tank thinking I had Dinos(which turned out to be chrysophytes).

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops my mistake. I thought July on there said Jan

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops my mistake. I thought July on there said Jan
The January spike makes everything look lower too. I just don’t know if I should be worried this is a new issue to focus on or if I should be a lot more grateful for the work my yellow face sleeper did. Potentially he was keeping this at bay and there is a correlation between this picking up and him dying.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The January spike makes everything look lower too. I just don’t know if I should be worried this is a new issue to focus on or if I should be a lot more grateful for the work my yellow face sleeper did. Potentially he was keeping this at bay and there is a correlation between this picking up and him dying.
The white light pics will help immensely. Even shining a flashlight can help sometimes.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it blow off easily? Have any bubbles? Parameter swings as you mentioned can bring on cyano.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm helpful but not smart enough to answer. I'll bet @vetteguy53081 can nail it though.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank and what's your CuC like?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sold on it not being a form of cyano, but also think diatoms. It's why I held my tongue on the answer.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank and what's your CuC like?
90 Gallon tank and I recently added this order from reef cleaners on top of the 3-4 large nassarius, 5+ bumblebees, and couple astrea and basic hermits I already had.

Attachments

• 5C0D3C20-3CEF-4E6E-91D4-4662E70CAFA3.png
    5C0D3C20-3CEF-4E6E-91D4-4662E70CAFA3.png
    391.2 KB · Views: 33

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello All,

Not sure how anyone can make assessment under heavy blue light. Please retake under white lighting. It can be diatoms, red slime, cyano, dictyota. Need to comfirm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back