Red Sea 425xl

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys using to replace the ATO on a Red Sea 425xl
I've actually augmented the Red Sea ATO with an external reservoir and separate ATO as the Red Sea float performs flawlessly for me.

So the Red Sea ATO tops up the tank, and I run sensors in the Red Sea ATO reservoir to top it up via a separate (electronic) ATO and reservoir.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually augmented the Red Sea ATO with an external reservoir and separate ATO as the Red Sea float performs flawlessly for me.

So the Red Sea ATO tops up the tank, and I run sensors in the Red Sea ATO reservoir to top it up via a separate (electronic) ATO and reservoir.
Is there a reason you've elected to put an ATO on an ATO? Seems like you could save a lot of space by just taking the Red Sea ATO out of that equation. It also doesn't seem like there's another level of safety/redundancy there because if the electronic ATO fails on, and floods the Red Sea ATO, there's still a flood.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys using to replace the ATO on a Red Sea 425xl
The tried and true hobby standard Tunze Osmolator 3155!

Is that what you're asking, just which ATO, or something more specific to the configuration of the Red Seat ATO?

I love gravity fed ATO's and think they're probably more reliable than anything else but that wasn't a solution I wanted on my 425XL so I repurposed it and it now gravity feeds both my QT tank and a 10g IM Nano tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you've elected to put an ATO on an ATO? Seems like you could save a lot of space by just taking the Red Sea ATO out of that equation. It also doesn't seem like there's another level of safety/redundancy there because if the electronic ATO fails on, and floods the Red Sea ATO, there's still a flood.
Additional capacity, redundancy, failsafe. Not really - I don't need the space savings, the Red Sea ATO float is bulletproof and all of my optical sensors are immersed in RO water - so cleaning and maintenance is almost non-existent. It's easier filling up an external ATO reservoir than it is the internal ATO reservoir. Refer to my build thread for the specifics if you're curious.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back