Red Sea 625 XXL

Danthereefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay,

So like many others my bottom seal failed. Lost most of the corals, but did manage to drive 3 hours from vacation and rescue my fish. Thank goodness for water alarms!

Anyways, so yeah not the best situation, but I’m trying to salvage the tank. I bought it used and it went 5 years before the seal broke. (I knew the used was a risk, but it would be out of warranty regardless).

An import note is that my tank is not over hanging like most Red Sea tanks.Most hang the front panel over the cabinet doors, but I built a custom stand for it.

Now, so my plan is pretty simple. I want to Silicone a 57.75 x 6 inch 1/2 inch glass piece on the bottom front of the tank. Create a new seal. I use crush coral so the look doesn’t matter to me. However, will this hold? I’ve done it with other tanks in the past, but nothing this big. I’m no stranger to silicone, but what’s everyone’s take on this?

08BC1A1A-B512-4C99-8720-AF75457755E0.jpeg F9B3FE12-366A-435F-9116-3135B9B6A4A6.jpeg ACB09F91-231F-407D-A600-8713F29AB9F5.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best option is to reseal the entire bottom panel as opposed to adding a patch over. Perhaps @Lowell Lemon can verify or debunk.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it would be your first build vs a continuance of builds you can look back on I can't recommend a self fix, it'll break again. Must get a new tank, from a good company

OP
OP
D

Danthereefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it would be your first build vs a continuance of builds you can look back on I can't recommend a self fix, it'll break again. Must get a new tank, from a good company
I hear you there Just difficult to move both this aquarium and a new one. Even if I wanted to reseal the bottom the weight of this thing is pretty crazy.

I guess I was trying to get enough grab with the silicone with 1/2 glass piece to reseal, but I think you might be right and I might just have to bite the bullet on a completely new tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey if it's any help there's a thread with nine years in one thread /hundreds of jobs/disassembling reefs like that to move or upgrade them without loss. as you're moving livestock these are the safety highlights from the sixty pages on file of perfect skip cycle moves:

when it's installed in your new tank regardless of origin, don't run full power lights right off the bat. re ramp them, as if you just changed over from power compacts into LED's, do a re ramping over ten days max. = best bleach prevention trick above all.

second: transfer zero, zero, unrinsed sand. not a handful from the old tank, none if you want the safest transfer of sand. your old sand has nothing the new tank needs, and carries risk in fact. simply ensure any sand that goes into your old tank has been pre rinsed hours in tap water until 100% clean, no clouding, final rinse in saltwater to prep it as a cloudless lump of sand to be used in the new tank. cloudless sand transfer is #2 important crash prevention

keep fish covered while in holding totes / they jump. you may already have a plan/just wanted to add these safety highlights. in my city that reef is worth $15-20K those corals are shocking nice and aged. to control it takes to bounce all that delicacy from the main tank to a holding system, then into a final tank, that's 2x xfers of all that life, is astounding but can be done safely for sure.

from the hospital thread: moving that much rock around carries a serious risk of cuts scrapes and vermitid pokes which has sent plenty of people right to the hospital here in another thread, some serious. mrsa and vibrio are not rare in these jobs, poke not.

have thick dishwashing gloves is my reco. I dont use gloves when handling my pico reef's scape because it's tiny lr pieces with no weight, I'd have to squeeze them in order to be cut. your pieces are heavy enough merely lifting them out is weight and they can press a pointy vermetid right into deep skin

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back