Red Sea G2 Series Build Quality

jake296

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Looking at buying one of the Red Sea G2 tanks shortly. 625 is a perfect fit in terms of size and water volume for what I’m looking for however..

Any reviews on how the build quality is? Is there a noticeable improvement in the silicone?

It’s the tank I’m leaning towards but I have that fear in the back of my mind of silicone failure after reading the countless threads on the G1 models.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 350 G2 for 9 months now, no issues. The glass is thick and the interior silicone seams are protected with plastic as well. to be 100% honest though, if I knew about the g1 failures before buying this, I would have gone with a different brand. I'm not a fan of the stand either, it took forever to build and at the end of the day is made of cheap melamine type boards coated with epoxy. I trust the 2x4 stand I made myself for my frag tank more. The gravity fed ATO system is also annoying. The reservoir is too small and the drain line clogs constantly. Overall, reefers are great looking systems but for the price I wouldn't buy again.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 350 G2 for 9 months now, no issues. The glass is thick and the interior silicone seams are protected with plastic as well. to be 100% honest though, if I knew about the g1 failures before buying this, I would have gone with a different brand. I'm not a fan of the stand either, it took forever to build and at the end of the day is made of cheap melamine type boards coated with epoxy. I trust the 2x4 stand I made myself for my frag tank more. The gravity fed ATO system is also annoying. The reservoir is too small and the drain line clogs constantly. Overall, reefers are great looking systems but for the price I wouldn't buy again.
I thought the G2 moving forward has plywood stands now?

OP
OP
J

jake296

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equivalent sized floorprint setup from waterbox would be the Infinia reef 190.5. Have to admit the more I look at it and read, the more inviting it becomes..

OP
OP
J

jake296

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option could be a Cade tank.
I honestly know very little about them. Only been in the hobby for a couple of years and have done your typical Max nano start. Heard a lot about waterbox and Red Sea, as for Cade very little.

Do you have good experience with them?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have looked at waterbox, now I'm drooling at this system. I was simply smitten by the reefer i saw at my LFS and went all in with no research :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
J

jake296

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have looked at waterbox, now I'm drooling at this system. I was simply smitten by the reefer i saw at my LFS and went all in with no research :grinning-squinting-face:

Haha! Thank god for this forum. I’m dropping the reefer, I’ll spend a tiny bit more and get the waterbox. Instantly see a difference in reviews, just a better quality aquarium it seems. But good luck with your reefer! :D

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

While the Waterbox is sweet, the G2 Red Sea really is nice imo. I have the 200xl G2 along with the reefmat, reefled, Reefwave. I really like the quality and how everything compliments each other.

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly know very little about them. Only been in the hobby for a couple of years and have done your typical Max nano start. Heard a lot about waterbox and Red Sea, as for Cade very little.

Do you have good experience with them?
I purchased a used one about 3 months ago and no issues with it so far. Plumbed together and setup nicely. Also a big fan of the aluminum and glass stand. Built in power switches on the side is also a plus.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back