Red Sea ABCD trace elements

Geoology

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing 12.5ml daily of brs 2 part and was trying to figure out how much to dose weekly. Its says 1ml per 20ppm per 25gal. By my calculations I am only replacing 2ppm per day in 65 gallons so less then 1ppm per day per 25 gallons so only 7ppm per week. So I came up with 0.5ml per week.

Am I thinking of this correctly?

thanks for your imput.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 1/20th of your calcium. So if you are using 2ppm calcium, you would use .1 ml a day

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s so little I would think it’s not worth it and water changes might be good enough for trace elements until you’re using more calcium. I use redsea and didn’t dose any trace until it was more than just a drop. Just didn’t seem worth the trouble for almost nothing. But that was just me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I thinking of this correctly

If your tank is 65 gallons and you are dosing 12.5 mL of my DIY recipe #1 (BRS uses this), then that is adding each day

0.27 dKH of alkalinity
1.9 ppm of calcium

In a week, you'd be adding 7 times as much (88 mL; 2 dKH of alk; 13 ppm calcium), but I would not add it only weekly because the alk jump will be too large.

OP
OP
G

Geoology

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is 65 gallons and you are dosing 12.5 mL of my DIY recipe #1 (BRS uses this), then that is adding each day

0.27 dKH of alkalinity
1.9 ppm of calcium

In a week, you'd be adding 7 times as much (88 mL; 2 dKH of alk; 13 ppm calcium), but I would not add it only weekly because the alk jump will be too large.
Thanks for the response. I dose the 2 part with a doser daily. I am wanting to dose redsea trace elements weekly but trying to figure out how much based on the numbers. The number I came up with is roughly 0.5ml weekly. Just not sure if this is correct or not. I am doing this as I do weekly water changes of 10-15% and had an ICP test and most of my trace elements are near zero.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I dose the 2 part with a doser daily. I am wanting to dose redsea trace elements weekly but trying to figure out how much based on the numbers. The number I came up with is roughly 0.5ml weekly. Just not sure if this is correct or not. I am doing this as I do weekly water changes of 10-15% and had an ICP test and most of my trace elements are near zero.

OK, I understand the question now.

In my opinion, dosing trace elements based on alk and calcium usage is not even close to optimal, since many if not most of the users of trace elements in a reef tank are not also using calcium and alkalinity, but I understand that is what Red Sea recommends.

"(Add 1ml of Color supplement for every 20ppm of Calcium added per 100 liters (25 gal)"

To match the Red Sea recommendation, you would add 1.7 mL per week. 1 mL x (13.3 ppm per week/20 ppm) x (65 gallons/25 gallons) = 1.7 mL per week

OP
OP
G

Geoology

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I understand the question now.

In my opinion, dosing trace elements based on alk and calcium usage is not even close to optimal, since many if not most of the users of trace elements in a reef tank are not also using calcium and alkalinity, but I understand that is what Red Sea recommends.

"(Add 1ml of Color supplement for every 20ppm of Calcium added per 100 liters (25 gal)"

To match the Red Sea recommendation, you would add 1.7 mL per week. 1 mL x (13.3 ppm per week/20 ppm) x (65 gallons/25 gallons) = 1.7 mL per week
Thanks I was way off in my thinking and math. I must have been using those common core math skills. LOL

You say its not optimal how would you handle trace elements in a low consumption tank like mine. I am not trying to over complicate things just want to do what I can to be successful.

thanks again.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I was way off in my thinking and math. I must have been using those common core math skills. LOL

You say its not optimal how would you handle trace elements in a low consumption tank like mine. I am not trying to over complicate things just want to do what I can to be successful.

thanks again.

The best method is to dose and measure each one, but that is tedious and expensive.

Second best is to dose and observe the tank and adjust as needed.

Dosing a mixture like that at any dose may add things you already have in excess and not dose enough of something you are needing.

IMO, the Red Sea approach is not any better than a simple mL per gallon per week recommendation, and for some tanks, is worse. A tank with few hard corals or coralline algae but lots of soft corals and macroalgae will have lower alk and calcium demand but lots of demand for trace elements such as iron and manganese.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back