Red Sea Alkalinity & Calcium Dosing Question

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I always wondered how dosing of Alkalinity and Calcium work in general.
The reason I am talking about Red Sea here is because thats what i am using currently.

I know Red sea have 1:3 ratio for 2 part dosing, but what i always wondered is how it affects the other element when one is dosed.

When Alkalinity is dosed, it reduces calcium, so to compensate we dose calcium, but doesnt that mean it reduces alkaliity now? Meaning nothing happened?

If someone can explain how the 2 part dosing adjusts each other, that will be much appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Alkalinity is dosed, it reduces calcium, so to compensate we dose calcium, but doesnt that mean it reduces alkaliity now? Meaning nothing happened?

If someone can explain how the 2 part dosing adjusts each other, that will be much appreciated.

That is a mistaken, or at least highly misleading assertion, often perpetuated by folks without a good handle on what is happening. There is a lot of bunk in this regard on the internet.

Dosing one does not ever immediately impact the other unless you massively overdose and the tank turns milky white from preciptiaitng calcium carbonate.

IMO, it is safe to assume one does not impact the other, even though there may be small but real effects.

The only time I'd worry about this is if you evidence of excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate, such as hardening sand or excessively fast buildup on pumps and heaters.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back