Red Sea alkalinity test kit problems

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea test kit for my Alkalinity. I thought I had a high alkalinity of around 15 dKh, so I left it and decided to test it later, where I found that my Alkalinity was reading at 12dKh. I decided to do a few tests in a row, thoroughly rinsing my bikes between each test. I got varied results from 11 dKh up to 15dKh. I have used the same test kit for each test and the same tank water. What is causing this? Can someone help me out?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea test kit for my Alkalinity. I thought I had a high alkalinity of around 15 dKh, so I left it and decided to test it later, where I found that my Alkalinity was reading at 12dKh. I decided to do a few tests in a row, thoroughly rinsing my bikes between each test. I got varied results from 11 dKh up to 15dKh. I have used the same test kit for each test and the same tank water. What is causing this? Can someone help me out?

Your result is not normal. Even if the kit is grossly inaccurate (not saying it is, just hypothesizing), it will give the same answer every time if the volumes used are identical and the shade of color you use for the endpoint is the same. Nothing else can be wrong with such a simple test.

Sabina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your test kit. I have pretty consistent number out of mine. Maybe this might help? Let me know what the answer is?

when does you kit expire?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back