Red Sea Ammonia/ Nitrite & Nitrate

tmann51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 13 days ago I set up a 75 gallon SW tank with a corner overflow, a Eshopps refugium sump and a Eco Tech Vectra S1 return pump. I put water into the sump, about 1/2 full and maybe 20 gallons into the tank. Into the refugium section of the sump I put Brightwell Xport Bio brick, 32 oz. of Brightwell Microbacter 7 and about 20 Marine Pure cubes. To the tank I added 3 20# bags of CaribSea live sand. I let it all sit for 24 hours then added the rest of the water, Reef Crystals @ 1.026 s.g. About 3 days later I added a 1.5" tomato clown and tested for ammonia because I thought I could smell it, It tested 0. I also tested Nitrite and Nitrate, both read 0. Sunday, yesterday, I ran all these tests again and again everything was 0 except for a slight "blush" in nitrate, not even 2. I don't know what to think, either the tests are not working or the Bio Brick, Marine Pure and live sand ARE really working. The only other possibility is that it hasn't even started to cycle yet. Either way, I've transferred a high percentage of live rock and live stock from another 75 gallon that is still setup, not for long, where I used to live. Any thoughts on adding more bacteria Vibrance, Dr. Tim's or Microbacter Clean at some point, not diatoms, dynos or cyano anywhere as yet.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pulled the live rock from your other aquarium and used live sand, it’s possible your tank won’t need to cycle again.

OP
OP
T

tmann51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the pieces that had the most coralline and mushrooms on them. I did have to add calcium (BRS) to get it from 390 to 420 ppm, alk was fine. I can NEVER get, again, Red Sea Iodine to read any LESS than 0.9 (high) in this or any tank which means never adding Lugol's for any reason.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back