Red Sea Aquarium Conundrum

crazyk972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, like the rest of us on this forum, I have been both blessed and cursed with the saltwater aquarium bug. I started a little over 10 years ago and had many pre 100 gallon tanks. I had both reef tanks and fish only tanks that allowed me to get the enjoyment out of the aquarium scene. It wasn't until my wife said we are doing a remodel to the house and that the small tanks would not fit to the new decor but was given the green light to purchase a Red Sea XL 525 for one of the front rooms as you enter our house. This was almost 3 years ago. It has been a great tank and has been a staple in our house since the date of arrival. A well maintained 5 foot tank can really be an eye catcher and that is what it has been.

Now the good and the bad:
Bad - Come home and notice the front glass is pulling away from side glass and was starting to break down. No leak yet

Good - Called the company where I bought the tank from and emailed Red Sea the findings and was still under warranty. The offered a replacement of a new 525 XL tank, but declined this option. I have read and spoken to multiple people describing the same issue and it was believed it was based on the tank stand. I was like, I am not going through this in another 3 years if this is a known issue. After working with Red Sea and sleeping on it, I decided to pay the upgrade to a Reefer-S 850. Let's hope this was the right decision........I was really impressed with Red Sea and the response and any doubts that they will work with you was farthest from the truth.

Bad - Trying to coordinate a tank breakdown with a new tank build and making sure all of the livestock that has been in the tank for years survives. I am curious how many times other reefers have had this dilemma, but once a reefer, always a reefer right...

I figured I would keep a thread open with pictures for those who like to watch the progress and offer comments on the way.

I have attached a few photos of the xl 525 with clamps and my new package that showed up today. Time to get my 3D Printer warmed up for all of the customizations.

New Tank.jpg Right Side Pull.jpeg Tank with clamps.jpg top Left Corner 1.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is a Red Sea upgrade marketing ploy that the company has conspired upon? Well conspiracy theories aside,

I think making an upgrade was a great decision. I hope the transfer goes well. I recently did one and I was too slow and stressed out the fish. Keep your buckets circulating better than I did.

OP
OP
C

crazyk972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a gen1 750 tank that failed?
no, G1 525XL. I upgraded to the g2 Reefer with Euro Brace on tank and the metal frame. So glad that I paid the difference. One of the things that stand out is with the Euro Brace around the top of the tank, gives the effect of a solid 3/4" Black frame on all edges, which in my cause matches the aesthetics of the room the tank is in. I will post pictures later today to show the difference.

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the G2s reported to be "safer" comparatively? I've heard of the issue often but not sure if its all their tanks or before they upgraded to next generation.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, G1 525XL. I upgraded to the g2 Reefer with Euro Brace on tank and the metal frame. So glad that I paid the difference. One of the things that stand out is with the Euro Brace around the top of the tank, gives the effect of a solid 3/4" Black frame on all edges, which in my cause matches the aesthetics of the room the tank is in. I will post pictures later today to show the differenc
Thanks for confirming it's a Gen1. Reason I am asking is because I like the G2 tanks with the armored seams. No need to worry when using a algae scrapper with an edge on it. I'm hoping not to hear any G2 failing suddenly(discounting user/owner setup fault like uneven tank surface, damaged tanks). Also I wish RedSea offered a premium/upgrade option for all their other G2 tanks from 260 series and above to use the aluminum stands like the ones they use on the GS 500, 700, 850,1000 series or the max S400, S500,S600

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back