Red Sea ATO+ randomly drains itself into sump

  • Thread starter Thread starter cp32
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cp32

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2024
Messages
92
Reaction score
45
Location
sacramento
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all , I was wondering if anyone who uses the redsea ato+ has had this issue where it will randomly start dumping gallons into sump ? The first time I thought it was just a fluke checked the sensor and readjusted it , but now this has happened 4 more times (about ever 2 weeks ) since and I’m just trying to figure out why !

IMG_3878.png
 
What are you using as a reservoir and where is it located in relation to your sump? Many times this will happen if your reservoir is located higher than the sump water level and it will create a symphonic on its own and back fill into the sump.
 
What are you using as a reservoir and where is it located in relation to your sump? Many times this will happen if your reservoir is located higher than the sump water level and it will create a symphonic on its own and back fill into the sump.
I’m using the redsea 4.8 gallon slim and tall resi . And it is located right next to my sump
 
That was supposed to be siphon not symphonic… Dang autocorrect. Anyways…

If your ATO pump is lower than your sumps water level, that should be happening.

It could be a bad ato pump or water level sensor in your sump that is not telling the ato to stop.
 
Did you ever get a fix? I have had this issue as well and just ordered a new sensor
 
Did you ever get a fix? I have had this issue as well and just ordered a new sensor
No fix for me . Ordered a new sensor but same issue every couple weeks . I ended up just turning the red sea ato off and then manually starting it when water dips . Looking into different ATOs currently
 
Odd. I’ve got three and never had any of them do this.

Where is the water level relative to the sensor when it does this? I.e, is the sensor misreading or is your tank > sump valve clogging and causing the water level in your overflow to rise?
 
The
Odd. I’ve got three and never had any of them do this.

Where is the water level relative to the sensor when it does this? I.e, is the sensor misreading or is your tank > sump valve clogging and causing the water level in your overflow to rise?
The water level in sump will show as low but in my threshold, for some reason it will just dump 2+ gallons every few weeks . I don’t think it’s a valve clog ? I can look . I try to clean out everything once a month
 
My experience with this issue is that it’s a flow issue. Try cleaning the valve on your downspout and then recalibrate your return pump to the downspout. If it gets out of sync, the sump will lower and it triggers the ATO. This will happen until the system catches up, but really it’s over topped the water level…. It causes salinity drops as well.
I think the main cause is that the sensor on the kit is not overly sensitive or precise to subtle changes in sump water levels. Combine that with an out of sync return flow issue, this issue happens.

I clean my valve once a month and recalibrate the return flow to mitigate the issue. I also wait 12 hours in between adjustments to see what’s going on, if I don’t, I find I’m always chasing and adjusting.

And even still, it’s not perfect….

IMG_2376.png
 
My experience with this issue is that it’s a flow issue. Try cleaning the valve on your downspout and then recalibrate your return pump to the downspout. If it gets out of sync, the sump will lower and it triggers the ATO. This will happen until the system catches up, but really it’s over topped the water level…. It causes salinity drops as well.
I think the main cause is that the sensor on the kit is not overly sensitive or precise to subtle changes in sump water levels. Combine that with an out of sync return flow issue, this issue happens.

I clean my valve once a month and recalibrate the return flow to mitigate the issue. I also wait 12 hours in between adjustments to see what’s going on, if I don’t, I find I’m always chasing and adjusting.

And even still, it’s not perfect….

IMG_2376.png
Ok I’m going to look and recalibrate this weekend . Your chart looks really similar to mine .

I do notice a steady decline in salinity after water changes
 
Ok I’m going to look and recalibrate this weekend . Your chart looks really similar to mine .

I do notice a steady decline in salinity after water changes
Is it possible you’re removing more water than you’re adding during water changes and the ATO is compensating for the delta?
 
No fix for me . Ordered a new sensor but same issue every couple weeks . I ended up just turning the red sea ato off and then manually starting it when water dips . Looking into different ATOs currently
Shame, I just contacted redsea about it. And set up an optic sensor to shut it off on apex.
 
Is it possible you’re removing more water than you’re adding during water changes and the ATO is compensating for the delta?
No I don’t think so because when I do water changes , I shut the ATO off . And I have down pretty spot on with how much water to take out and how much salt water to make .

I haven’t had the ATO do this after a wc , just randomly through the month
 
What kind of return pump are you using? Do you clean it at all?
 
It can get a “coating” from the calcification process, that needs a soak in vinegar, and a brush.

It may not be your issue at all, buts common.

Good luck
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new