Red Sea Berlin Skimmer - Having issues/old repairs.

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this skimmer for maybe three weeks running in my tank and it just now started giving me the blues. Before it skimmed a lot of wet skimmate (fine by me since I was doing heavy water changes anyways......the sand I got decided to croak on me) but lately it started this "gurgling" coming out of the tubes. It was a trade off for some work I did for a buddy, who got it from someone else and never use it. Came with no instructions, cup, some repairs, and no pump. The collection cup came off an all-in-one skimmer thing (can't remember what it was called), fits perfectly. The pump is a Rio 2500.

Figured the tubing was causing the gurgling and through the online instructions, was told that the tubing needs to go. It said to use a 90* bend but that was it. The red is the 90* PVC, the blue being the tubing. Does this look right to you guys? I'll have a filter pad underneath to catch the water and provide some extra cleaning. I know.....skimmer has to be moved but it's just temporary, it previously was IN the vat instead of on the edge (Just did that like......3 minutes ago).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/burks/DSC07462.jpg

Up next are the "repairs" done. First to the inlet side. Anything I should worry about? Sure doesn't leak as I've ran the skimmer for over 5 hours out of the tank before I put it in with just freshwater.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/burks/DSC07460.jpg

Last, not sure if you can see the "repair" but I circled it in red. Any idea why this was done? Seems like there used to be holes there. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/burks/DSC07461.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure this is not the help you want to hear BUT, i would just get a new skimmer.

that thing looks like it has seen better days and the track record of them is not good anyway. I had one and was very disappointed with it. I would just look for something else. What size tank is it going on.

You should look for a asm skimmer, they are pretty cheap and with a simple recirculation mod it is pretty effective.

btw, your light is scaring me. I would be afraid i would knock into the frame it is mounted to and the whole thing fall into the tank.

OP
OP
B

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going on a 75g coral vat with just a damsel in it (rescued little guy). I'd get a new one but don't exactly have the money. If you'd like to donate, that just be splendid. *note the sarcasm*

Trust me, that light frame isn't going any place. There is more than just one screw holding it up. I'd never put it up if I wasn't sure it was going to hold (already dropped a 5g bucket full of water against it, barely moved).
:hammer:

Last edited:
Back