Red Sea coral pro mix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I make 10 gallons saltwater mix can I add it to my tank right away or wait 24 hours?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add mine roughly 20-30min after mixing. Seems the longer you wait to add it the water turns cloudy with precipitation.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mix it for between 30 minutes to 2 hours as per instructions and assuming temperature ok you add it.

It clears quickly and certainly within 30 minutes. I do however use a circulation pump and I've probably added it in more like 15-20 minutes sometimes.

OP
OP
Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With RSCP just mix it until clear (20 minutes or so) and then add to tank. This is one of the big factors with this salt that keeps me coming back haha

It's a pain so many people say to wait 24 hours

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I just hear so much to wait 24 hours

If you look on the web, I've seen a video about this and overmixing causes precipitation from Red Sea. It tells you all about it and the myths etc.

Just search how to mix it and it should come up as video.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine percipitate when I mix. I do leave it running for hours and overnight usually. here's a shot from the overnight mixing.
c1cd22c41e9b30aadeb951b07a0c01db.jpg

I have to say this salt in the bucket has been sitting around for over 4yrs old. It has only been a month ago that I started using it as I got back into the hobby.

ideas why mine is percipitating?

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine percipitate when I mix. I do leave it running for hours and overnight usually. here's a shot from the overnight mixing.
c1cd22c41e9b30aadeb951b07a0c01db.jpg

I have to say this salt in the bucket has been sitting around for over 4yrs old. It has only been a month ago that I started using it as I got back into the hobby.

ideas why mine is percipitating?
Does is precipitated as soon as you added salt to water? Red Sea salt is only to be mixed per direction on the bucket. If you go longer the 2 hrs it will precipitates .

OP
OP
Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does is precipitated as soon as you added salt to water? Red Sea salt is only to be mixed per direction on the bucket. If you go longer the 2 hrs it will precipitates .

I've never seen this happen before. Mine is usually done mixing within 30 minutes.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh...I have not checked. Typically I just leave it running overnight. I have not actually read the mixing instruction to be honest. Guess routine from 10 yrs ago just doesn't always work with different salt mix. I will have to check next time I mix a new batch. Likely later this evening.

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh...I have not checked. Typically I just leave it running overnight. I have not actually read the mixing instruction to be honest. Guess routine from 10 yrs ago just doesn't always work with different salt mix. I will have to check next time I mix a new batch. Likely later this evening.
The most I have left it mixing was 2 hrs. Haven't left it for more then that. Try that [emoji3]

OP
OP
Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Long time ago the rule of them was let it settle for 24 hours before adding to the display tank. That rule of thumb doesn't really take place nowadays slat mixes, mix a lot better and fast than 10 years ago. Like people mentioned, once your salt mix is done mixing it will be clear and not cloudy, you're good to add to your display tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back