Red Sea coral pro salt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working night shift for the next two weeks. My question is if I mix the salt the day before I use will there be any affects with the salt differently than using it right after it mixes? It's just hard to do everything all at once getting home at midnight. My plan was to mix the day before and add the next day.

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it supposedly precips all the extra stuff in it. it says for immediate use.

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, in the coral pro, the alk and calc levels are high, so if they are left mixing together, the alk and calc will precipitate out dropping both levels. That's why on the red sea coral pro mixing instructions, they say to mix it for 3 to 4 hrs.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try it and measure it before your water change to see what the measurable drop is, i was thinking about trying red sea and noticed alk is at 13 after mixing that's high isn't it?

OP
OP
Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be mixing it all the way till tomorrow. Just mixing it like normal and then dealing he 5 gallon buckets up

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix it normally. Either leave the powerhead in overnight or run it again for a few in the am or wait.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it did happens to me once. I mixed everything up and then somthing came up were I couldn't get to it so 24 hours later went to do my water change and my heater and Powerheads was all white with perception. And the water was really really cloudy almost as bad as when you first add the salt to the water. So I just dumped it out and started again. Now looking back I wish I tested the water to see how much the alk and cal dropped.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs makes salt water all week long

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it did happens to me once. I mixed everything up and then somthing came up were I couldn't get to it so 24 hours later went to do my water change and my heater and Powerheads was all white with perception. And the water was really really cloudy almost as bad as when you first add the salt to the water. So I just dumped it out and started again. Now looking back I wish I tested the water to see how much the alk and cal dropped.
This has happened to me as well. Also, if you pull the water in and the salt at same time you get the same result.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not know this.

I have done 3 water changes with this mix (it's a new salt mix for me). The second time I let it sit over night and I did notice some precipitation when I added it to the display hmmmm.

ALW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I must be the odd one because I make the water Saturday afternoon/evening let it sit with a powerhead on overnight and do water changfe on Sunday. I've been doing it this way for a year now after switching to Coral Pro and have had NO problems-I also mixed 25 gallons for the next water change and used it with no concerns in any of my 3 tanks. 14, 32 and 60 gallon. Everybody seems happy in all 3!

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key is that you need to have a powerhead/pump cycling the mixed salt water 24/7 to minimize precipitation. I'm lazy and I like to mix 30+ gallons of salt water and use it over the course of 4-5 weeks for my weekly water changes. I also use Red Sea Coral Salt Pro. If you mix it and then let it sit, it will precipitate quite a bit and your Alk and Ca will drop significantly. I found that leaving a small pump to continuously cycle the water will dramatically reduce this precipitation. I use a MJ1200 in its return pump configuration to keep a 30 gallon drum cycling the salt water 24/7. Also don't heat the mixer until you use it, as that will only add to the precipitation.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back