reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey
so I'm trying to install this reef matt 500 in my red sea reefer 425 xl g2
can't remove the sock holder no matter what, I don't want to break it,
or make any modifications, any ideas on what i can do?

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to cut the black silicone to remove it. Red Sea has a sump modification kit, or you can just use a razor blade, the thinner extendable pencil types work quite well to slice through. Another customer I had used clean feeler gauges.

DaveWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea makes a kit that provides the proper tools to remove the sock holders.

OP
OP
R

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only bought it because it says "plug and play
I've bought the newer tank mainly because of that plan of adding the skimmer without modifying it

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the G2? aren't they supposed to slide out? didn't see anything in the package for that
Yea I didn’t realize the G2 were supposed to slide out, I’m looking at mine right now and see what you mean, the instructions aren’t that helpful either

Attachments

• IMG_2121.jpeg
    IMG_2121.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
R

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I didn’t realize the G2 were supposed to slide out, I’m looking at mine right now and see what you mean, the instructions aren’t that helpful either
Yes im so confused, tbh im away and my gf is trying to do this so i thought it'd be easy, but she can't slide it out no matter what and the only 2 vids in youtube show people sliding it out with 1 finger, so not sure on what to do

OP
OP
R

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am i supposed to slide the glass out first? tried it and it was stubborn kinda, the middle glass between front/rear chamber ion the left is quite easy tho but maybe this is being held up by the sock holder

OP
OP
R

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came out just like in the video with a little bit of wiggling for the glass. There is a bead on the bottom of the panel that maybe stuck - you could try to wedge something under it to loose (shim or a butter knife maybe.) I think he's talking about cutting the silicone and/or plastic out around the glass panel which should be the veritcle track the panel sits in.
1692388231279.png

You should be able to do it with a clean razor. I haven't tried to cut that part out, but I did remove the triangle piece of glass for the ATO float valve since I use a different ATO.

OP
OP
R

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t
Mine came out just like in the video with a little bit of wiggling for the glass. There is a bead on the bottom of the panel that maybe stuck - you could try to wedge something under it to loose (shim or a butter knife maybe.) I think he's talking about cutting the silicone and/or plastic out around the glass panel which should be the veritcle track the panel sits in.
1692388231279.png

You should be able to do it with a clean razor. I haven't tried to cut that part out, but I did remove the triangle piece of glass for the ATO float valve since I use a different ATO.
thanks for the help ill try that, were u able to just slide the glass out? my gf tried pulling it all the way to the lift with wiggling and it wasnt even moving, maybe it's not st in right? any other tips? not sure what can block it from lsiding out to the lefgt at the top all the socks were removed and pulled all the way to the left and it won't work

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back