Red Sea Gen 2 Weir pipes

  • Thread starter Thread starter AquaKnight
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AquaKnight

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2022
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Location
UK
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Hopefully this is in the correct place.
I am dismantling my Red Sea Reefer 525 G2 and am having problems removing two of the down pipes. I have managed to unscrew the two returns, but the main drain and overflow are completely locked in. When installed there was a ratcheting noise on these two pipes as they were tightened so I'm hoping they are removable.
I've put as much force as I dare in trying to undo them before either the pipes or base of the tank takes some damage. Has anyone come across this issue or can offer any advice, please?
Many thanks, Martin
 
Last edited:
Hi, Hopefully this is in the correct place.
I am dismantling my Red Sea Reefer 525 G2 and am having problems removing two of the down pipes. I have managed to unscrew the two returns, but the main drain and overflow are completely locked in. When installed there was a ratcheting noise on these two pipes as they were tightened so I'm hoping they are removable.
I've put as much force as I dare in trying to undo them before either the pipes or base of the tank takes some damage. Has anyone come across this issue or can offer any advice, please?
Many thanks, Martin
I’ve disassembled four of these tanks now!

So, what you’re experiencing is likely calcification and silt clogging up and cementing the plumbing to the plastic bulkhead hole plate!

The ratcheting noise is these pawls on the pipe’s bulkhead flange:
image.jpg


There are four of these, 90 degrees apart around the flange… they interface with the bulkhead plate along these ridges:

IMG_1107.jpeg


My recommendation? Try a bit of lubricating oil between the two parts, then use a pipe wrench or pliers to unscrew the pipe even harder, popping it free of that ratcheting mechanism! (You might also be able to get a right angle pick in the seam between the two, disengaging one of the four pawls, but this usually requires a bit of brute force!)

If you want to get the overflow box out of your way, here’s a detailed how-to on removal (post #38):

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-aquarium-autopsy-reefer-xl425-g1.1146139/page-2
 
Last edited:
Many thanks for your detailed response Uncommonsense, I am nervous is the possibility of breaking the glass, I will give this a go.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new