Red Sea LED 90s PAR Mapping

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Y'all,

I rented a par meter from BRS and did my par mapping today. I thought I would share my results. The entire process was very easy. It took about an hour to get a pretty detailed map and then 30 minutes to process my data.

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 250
Lights: 2 Red Sea LED 90s

This is my tank. My aqua scaping consists of 2 main rocks with platforms about 1/2 and 2/3 of the way to the top of the water level respectively and bases below them. 3 rocks interspersed in the sand and then 4 rocks I used magnets to mount to the back. Here is a picture:
1614997759377.png

I printed this picture then created a washed out image and printed it so I could make an easy map. I took some calibration measurements at a spot I could easily repeat locating the sensor. In my case I chose the front right corner of the sump return. I took readings just below the top of the water level at 100% blue 100% white then 50% white 50% blue and a combo of blue and white at both intensities to verify that the par readings were scalable and additive. They checked out, red sea did well in their light calibration!

After that I made my map by measuring at my chosen locations with 100% blue then 100% white.

1614998117546.png

I recorded each reading in a spreadsheet then averaged them by zone. Once that was done I input my lighting schedule values so I could take a weighted average of the par levels for each period (I fudged it a little, I only did 3 periods...average under the curve blah blah close enough). After that I could divide by my total lighting period to get the average par for each zone for the day.

Schedule:
1614998442615.png

Calculations:
1614998590125.png

1614998621394.png

Turns out I didn't do half bad! I set it up to put acros on top and a variety of softies and LPS along the lower rocks and a zoa garden in the middle. My par levels support that plan reasonably well.

I had a few surprises. 1. light reflects off the tank walls way more than I thought. 2. shadow areas that are obvious to the naked eye have next to 0 par readings, can't count on reflection there. 3. Par meter jumps a lot so the measurements are not super accurate, but I don't think they need to be. That is why I averaged everything in the end. 4. White and blue don't correlate completely, this might be the inaccuracy or the effect of wavelength and the effects of reflection in the tank.

Hope this serves as a data point for anyone with a similar setup. As always, Happy reefing!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White and blue don't correlate completely, this might be the inaccuracy or the effect of wavelength and the effects of reflection in the tank.
Nice work.. According to Red Sea you have 80W of blue 10W of white in the 90.
So difference easily explained, at least in part.
Blue diodes, in general, are more efficient. Blue diodes w/ phosphors lose some of that efficiency.

To get real nit picky the weighting is a bit off since as you dim leds (less current on average, less heat) efficiency increases..
At 1/2 brightness you get like 48% less light, not 50%.. ;)
Doesn't really matter in the broad scheme of things.
Error increases with current..
It might come into play when you are considering dimming the blue channel.
Though even here it is minor..
Doesn't detract from your efforts at all. More of an FYI.
xml2lumens.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rincon_Reefer

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I noticed that when I did a reading at 50% blue and white. That explains it! It was off, but I figured, close enough. I bet you are an EE....very useful info. Like you said, probably doesn't change anything, but I am happy to better understand what is going on.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back