Red Sea max e 170 Beginner Question

sramos1104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to build the max e 170 as my first saltwater tank (no sump upgrade). I’ll probably have more questions but my first one is about the sponge that is located before the return pump and whether or not to buy the intank media rack instead of the one that came with it. I’ve seen mixed posts on whether or not to remove the sponge so I’m torn. Also is the intank media rack worth it? The Red Sea has glass surrounding their media rack so it forces the water through the rack just like the intank one. With the flow coming from the bottom of the media rack, my initial thought is to go with what Red Sea provided and just clean the sponge weekly with water changes. The filter floss from intank is at the top so it’s the last thing the water passes which seems to miss the point of having filter floss. Thanks!

FishyScientist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponge functions as a bubble trap. I would keep the current media basket because it's more convenient and more affordable. I have the Red Sea Max C-250 and on the rack, I added a sponge and a water polisher. I hope you have success with your tank.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back