Red Sea 170 Max e Build

sramos1104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

Brand new to the saltwater adventure with this new tank. I had Cichlids years ago in a freshwater tank, but this is my first saltwater tank. I decided to splurge on the Red Sea because I wanted an all in one tank in my small office where space is limited and I don't want to get something I'll need to upgrade. Definitely expensive but I am impressed so far with the quality.

Spent months researching and I'm currently on day 5 or 6 on my fishless cycle (used Dr. Tims). Will probably take it slowly with a pair of Clowns, watchmen Goby and then go from there. Maybe try my first coral once I get comfortable and the tank matures a little....I welcome any advice with corals or cool fish to add!

What I added so far:
I did buy the InTank media basket to replace the Red Sea one and will use Filter Floss with the black sponge red sea provided. I may remove the sponge after a while if it gets too dirty and I get lazy cleaning it. I found it helped with the micro bubbles so I kept it in for now.

I also bought a used UV from Aqua Ultraviolet (hang-on version). I'm not sure I like seeing the tube in the back, but there are not a lot of options for a UV light in an AIO tank. I saw BRS TV used it so I am going to try it and see.

Bought the Tunze ATO 3155 and it has worked perfectly so far. I have a 5 gallon container for now but will upgrade to a nicer one down the road so I can attach some of the controllers to it so that it looks nice and clean.

Rock is Caribsea life shapes and a few Caribsea from my local fish store

Sand is Caribsea Special Grade reef sand

That's about it so far. Looking forward to cycling the tank and learning more. I welcome all suggestions, opinions, or help! I've been researching on this forum for months so I appreciate all the advice!

IMG-0348.jpg
IMG-0349.jpg
IMG-0350.jpg
IMG-0351.jpg
IMG-0352.jpg

wolfen281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your aquascape.
I’m in the “watch a million videos” portion of “so you wanna be a reefer”.
Max170 is in my top 5.
Good luck.

OP
OP
S

sramos1104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your aquascape.
I’m in the “watch a million videos” portion of “so you wanna be a reefer”.
Max170 is in my top 5.
Good luck.

Thanks! I spent a few months just watching videos and researching. I started off thinking of getting the small Fluval tank with one or two fish...then wanted the ~30 gallon Biocube....ended up just saving more and splurging for the Red Sea tank..ha. I am happy with my decision and the fact that I dont need to really upgrade anything now until I want a bigger tank. Almost got the Biocube to save money...I was really torn and definitely some pros and cons to both.

Currently in day of Dr. Tims fishless cycling. Ammonia and Nitrites are still pretty high so I skipped one dosing of Ammonia. Hopefully these numbers will start going down. I appreciate anybody's advice that went through Dr. Tims fishless cycle. I have dosed his ammonia twice out of the days so I am hoping it will just take time for the ammonia to go back down. Thanks!

khye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great tank I upgraded to this from a boyu 52 ltr, the skimmer on these are very good.
all I have on mine is a ato, 2x p1 dosers and I changed the return pump to a tmc pump witch I can control at feeding times. got a random flow nozzle witch is top.
I did have the sump upgrade and a curve 5 installed but I found I was all ways watching the water level and just couldn't get it right so I took them off, I like how you can just do a weekly water change and test every week,

NOHtorious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to purchase E170 as well. Looking forward to hearing how your tank is doing. One Q for you. What pump/flow rate are you using to feed the Aqua UV?

OP
OP
S

sramos1104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to purchase E170 as well. Looking forward to hearing how your tank is doing. One Q for you. What pump/flow rate are you using to feed the Aqua UV?

I bought the sicce silence 1.0 pump and use it at the max rate it produces. It was the only pump I could find that would fit the back chamber. I’m not sure what the actual flow rate is and I’m sure it’s not ideal but to me it doesn’t hurt and probably helps in some way. I don’t run it all the time....maybe 60%. Eventually may even take it out when tank is more mature.

mazaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us more SRamos, we want to know how things are developping after almost one year now" ;P

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back