Red Sea Max E 260 Water level fluctuating

Acookie96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, i have had a Red Sea Max E 260 set up for over a month now and one thing that has left me scratching my head in frustration is how the water level in the sump and rear chamber is constantly fluctuating so much so that the stock ATO is constantly dumping the whole reservoir of RO water into the tank.

A few things I've ruled out that it cannot be is the return pump which is a jecod 1200 and the valve which is clean as a whistle.

I can get the water level just right but then 12/24 hours later i come to find water is pouring down the emergency drain and the return chamber is almost empty meaning the ATO is all getting dumped.

This is getting really frustrating so much so that im thinking about packing it all up which I don't want to do but I can't constantly stand by my tank all day watching the water level.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with the Red Sea system, what does it use to measure the water level (i.e. float or electric eye)? And where is yours located? If it's a float, any chance it's sticking?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
When you get your level just right...where is the level in the overflow box? Mine is just a few mm under the emergency drain (200xl g2) At this point my return chamber level should also be where I want it. I will check my overflow box and see if the level in the overflow box is rising or lowering. I have mine staying constant level in the overflow box. I'm not sure the 260 e has the same type of setup .

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back