Red Sea Max S 500 Build

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello nice stetup. do all the red sea Max have that return system? first time i noticed it........... following
all Red Sea Max systems have the little flow nozzles along the back wall. Depending on the size of the system, they will have anywhere from 1 to 4 nozzles. Then the Max system that include a sump (or have been upgraded to include a sump), have the larger return nozzle in the upper right or left of the tank.

OP
OP
Rctreece

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with the syringes but it's a cheap fix.
Hulless (Set of 60) 1ml 1cc Syringe with Luer Slip Tip, No Needle, Non-Sterile (Pack of 60) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078ZFZNYL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_72yfBb3XF5MBW

yeah I already found out about that. Saw another post for the same ones 100 count for $10. What got me is that when I contacted Red Sea they treated me like I was trying to rip them off. They wanted all kinds of info, receipts, ect. Then told me not to hold them by the area where the number are. what the heck? I spent close to $7k with these guys and they are going to go through all that crap for $.70 worth of syringes. All that stuff does is push me to find and use different products. I like Red Sea and use almost all of their products but a few more incidents like that and I will go a different route. I already bought the Hannah checkers. LOL

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all Red Sea Max systems have the little flow nozzles along the back wall. Depending on the size of the system, they will have anywhere from 1 to 4 nozzles. Then the Max system that include a sump (or have been upgraded to include a sump), have the larger return nozzle in the upper right or left of the tank.
Yeah,
All the S-Series are the same except how many recirc. pumps that they have and the sumps vary for the 3 different sizes too.

Frizzles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Rctreece

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tested again tonight.
No3. 2. Came up from no nopox
Po4. Zero. Always been zero
Cal. 412
Dkh. 8.5
Salt 34.2
Ph. 8.21
Temp 78.8
Orp 420

So I know I need alittle po4 should I dose it? I try to feed well, not over feed but a good amount. All my corals look pretty good except my two acros. I have no idea how fast they should grown but they all are colorful and open except acros. I have only had corals for about two weeks and I know nothing happens fast. When should I expect some growth? The acros were a spur of the moment wife buy during a wwc auction. I never really see the polyps open per say but can’t really tell. The one still has color so I guess they are alive. Still working on cal and alk dosing amount to get them to level out. I also decided to change salt from coral pro to the regular as most post I read have lower dkh. I guess I will shoot for 10? This Friday I will add three more fish from qt to dt. That will give me six total. One last question, I have been running skimmer 24/7. Should I?

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed more while you've stopped the NoPox.

Your phos. and nitrates should rise.
And, You may want to preform smaller water changes until your phos. and nitrates are up, and stable.

Corals need phos. and nitrates.

Acro's can be tough even in an very mature reef. I have one that only shows it's polyp's after lights out.

The Blue Bucket is an great salt. Shoot for about 8.0 dkh to match that mix

Run the C-Skim 24/7 and they take along time to break in.

OP
OP
Rctreece

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed more while you've stopped the NoPox.

Your phos. and nitrates should rise.
And, You may want to preform smaller water changes until your phos. and nitrates are up, and stable.

Corals need phos. and nitrates.

Acro's can be tough even in an very mature reef. I have one that only shows it's polyp's after lights out.

The Blue Bucket is an great salt. Shoot for about 8.0 dkh to match that mix

Run the C-Skim 24/7 and they take along time to break in.

Thanks for the info. I will follow it.

OP
OP
Rctreece

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the new Red Sea salt in and used the rest of the Coral Pro for my last water change. I mixed up some of the new salt and it mixes much better. I think I am going to like it. I also tested everything again and all is well except MAG is still over 1600. I think that is from the Coral Pro because it will fall off until the next water change then goes over 1600. The new salt should help me keep it stable. I was able to lower DKH to 8.9 on its way slowly to 8. Still have a little Nitrate like I wanted but zero P04. I bought a bottle and will start dosing slowly as overfeeding isn't working.
I did notice that my frogspawn is not branching out as much as it was. I wonder if that is due to me moving the powerheads around to help with the cyno? I also changed my light schedule to a different one I found on AI website. I really need to read up on the lighting as I am not very smart on that aspect.
My wife, who didn't want the tank but now cant leave it alone, ordered a bunch of corals. They are suppose to arrive today and hopefully they are not to crazy. I guess I should just be glad she enjoys the hobby.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the new Red Sea salt in and used the rest of the Coral Pro for my last water change. I mixed up some of the new salt and it mixes much better. I think I am going to like it. I also tested everything again and all is well except MAG is still over 1600. I think that is from the Coral Pro because it will fall off until the next water change then goes over 1600. The new salt should help me keep it stable. I was able to lower DKH to 8.9 on its way slowly to 8. Still have a little Nitrate like I wanted but zero P04. I bought a bottle and will start dosing slowly as overfeeding isn't working.
I did notice that my frogspawn is not branching out as much as it was. I wonder if that is due to me moving the powerheads around to help with the cyno? I also changed my light schedule to a different one I found on AI website. I really need to read up on the lighting as I am not very smart on that aspect.
My wife, who didn't want the tank but now cant leave it alone, ordered a bunch of corals. They are suppose to arrive today and hopefully they are not to crazy. I guess I should just be glad she enjoys the hobby.

I’ve always used the Red Sea Reef spec settings for the Hydra lights as below:

D4CB1DC9-242C-40B5-A540-D9C69B4735B2.png

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont chase the "perfect number" and don't worry about Mad being elevated. Mine has always been 1500 or above. I only make absolute sure my Alk. Is between 8.0 and 8.3 and work on stability. You may want to just slow down a bit though. That is a ton of coral for a brand new tank. Just out of experience sir.
Best luck to you. Ill folllow along.

OP
OP
Rctreece

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont chase the "perfect number" and don't worry about Mad being elevated. Mine has always been 1500 or above. I only make absolute sure my Alk. Is between 8.0 and 8.3 and work on stability. You may want to just slow down a bit though. That is a ton of coral for a brand new tank. Just out of experience sir.
Best luck to you. Ill folllow along.

Thanks for the advise. Not really chasing any numbers but want to be in the ballpark. The MAG is just always been that high. I really wasn't planning on these next few corals but she kind of did it on her own. I am surprised that none of the others have not died yet.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advise. Not really chasing any numbers but want to be in the ballpark. The MAG is just always been that high. I really wasn't planning on these next few corals but she kind of did it on her own. I am surprised that none of the others have not died yet.
Well,
You got to love your wife... :)

Which mag test kit are you using?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you just ramp it up to the highs, sit an hour and ramp down for a total of 10 or so hours?
I ramp them up over 1 hour from 11.30am and they ramp down at 9pm for 1 hour and off at 10pm (because the alcohol has done its job by then! Lol)

The only difference is at 7pm I go darker and ‘blue’ for the evening because I like it that way. I also have the storm effects on.

And my Mg has also always been high (currently around 1550-1600) with no ill effects. I don’t need to dose it and now only do random tests, simply because it’s, well high. Just make sure your Alkalinity is stable, and calcium.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back