Adding ReefMat 500 to RedSea Reefer Max-S 500

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the 500 from my LFS today. My Max-S has the original sump. The Red Sea site says to add the ReefMat to the left chamber (the largest section). it would hang on the very front of the sump. I have a dual reactor sitting in that right now but planned on removing it anyway. I will run the media a different way now. My LFS advised me to actually place this in the back right section. This is where the overflow tubes currently run down to. They told me to remove the small glass panel between that small chamber and where the filter socks are. Doing this would still open up that left compartment for additional equipment, etc. Here is the diagram from the RedSea site with their recommended placement. If you have added one of these what did you do? I like the idea of using all the spaces/sections if I can.

MAX-S-500-option.png

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have that redsea tank. Is that image accurate? Seeing the ato float valve in sump and no return pump pictured has me bit confused.
I just pulled a reef mat out of my reefer 300. It was stripping too much and N and P were zeroing out and corals starting to look poor. They work well, but sometimes too well so keep and eye on thing's.

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have that redsea tank. Is that image accurate? Seeing the ato float valve in sump and no return pump pictured has me bit confused.
I just pulled a reef mat out of my reefer 300. It was stripping too much and N and P were zeroing out and corals starting to look poor. They work well, but sometimes too well so keep and eye on thing's.
That is the right picture. It's just not to scale. The return pump would be in the front right compartment. It's much bigger than the picture shows (the whole sump is bigger than the illustration). The ATO float is in that front compartment as well but I don't use that ATO. It constantly clogged up and the volume that tank has only lasts a few days. I added a separate ATO tank in the cabinet, which has been much better. The guy at the LFS did mention the N & P issues as well, that they work great but sometimes too great. I'll just keep watching my parameters more often.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back