Red Sea No-Pox

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 120 Mix Reef, well stocked. I have seen growth slow down and been trying to get my phosphate and Nitrate down. Phosphate .58 and Nitrate 25.

I been using phosphate RX on and off, it works just temp. I have chato and Protein Skimmer. I just have a lot of fish as well.
I do water changes every 2 weeeks, 25%

I stared using No-Pox half dose 4 days ago. Already my beautiful sps colonies has started STN from bottom. One is 30% white and another one started last night.

after having theses for years and just started dosing, that would have to be the reason right??

I emailed Red Sea and they said that product does not cause that issue, something else is happening.

thoughts? Here’s my tank from last week ish.
My tank

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you're running a skimmer? NOPOX has a tendency to suck oxygen when used which is why you need a skimmer running for aeration to offset this.

My nitrates are also around 25 and like you, I had been dosing NOPOX in an attempt to get them down. I found that over the course of a few weeks the corals were all stressed and generally not looking great - so I just decided to live with the higher nitrates and everything quickly rebounded.

I don't think NOPOX directly causes this, but something does seem to happen indirectly. Maybe it's due to being used in conjunction with something else - I'm not entirely certain.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you're running a skimmer? NOPOX has a tendency to suck oxygen when used which is why you need a skimmer running for aeration to offset this.

My nitrates are also around 25 and like you, I had been dosing NOPOX in an attempt to get them down. I found that over the course of a few weeks the corals were all stressed and generally not looking great - so I just decided to live with the higher nitrates and everything quickly rebounded.

I don't think NOPOX directly causes this, but something does seem to happen indirectly. Maybe it's due to being used in conjunction with something else - I'm not entirely certain.
Hi, yes I have a nice size skimmer. If you had issues, a new yourtube videos they speak of issues, online forms also say and now I noticed it. Seems like it’s no pox, again I’m dosing half and a instant effect. I only been doing it for 4 days and I’m worried if I keep going it way work? Or I may lose corals .

thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The incidence of coral issues from organic carbon dosing is low enough to not have a clear cause and effect, unless perhaps nutrients are dropped too low.

But it is always possible there was already a pathogenic bacteria on the corals that was spurred to grow in this particular situation.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The incidence of coral issues from organic carbon dosing is low enough to not have a clear cause and effect, unless perhaps nutrients are dropped too low.

But it is always possible there was already a pathogenic bacteria on the corals that was spurred to grow in this particular situation.
You’re stating that the dose of it will not have a effect? My nutrients have not dropped from the 4 day time frame so far.

I have used GFO last year, after 2 weeks I had RTN. So I’m worried about going back to GFO, I was looking forward to carbon dosing.

would you recommend continuing no pox at a slow rate to see if any major changes occur?

thanks Randy

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re stating that the dose of it will not have a effect? My nutrients have not dropped from the 4 day time frame so far.

I have used GFO last year, after 2 weeks I had RTN. So I’m worried about going back to GFO, I was looking forward to carbon dosing.

would you recommend continuing no pox at a slow rate to see if any major changes occur?

thanks Randy

What I stated was that there’s little evidence from many, many users of organic carbon of such problems, but that one cannot rule it out as an unusual situation.

In any case, if you are confident of a correlation in time between dosing and a problem, I’d stop.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I stated was that there’s little evidence from many, many users of organic carbon of such problems, but that one cannot rule it out as an unusual situation.

In any case, if you are confident of a correlation in time between dosing and a problem, I’d stop.
Thanks for the clarification on my part. Also I have to take into consideration, I removed a chuck of plate monti and it possibly could have caused more flow in that direction and that’s the result of STN but the flow was not aggressively changed, just more open area. I don’t know how that would have effected the other coral on the other side of tank. I’ll have to think of my next steps. I do want to lower my phosphate and nitrates. The chato, Skimmer and water changes are not making a dent. Only thing that works quick is phosphate RX but my wrasses don’t breath well and I don’t care to dose it. I cut back on feeding and I don’t fee corals.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the clarification on my part. Also I have to take into consideration, I removed a chuck of plate monti and it possibly could have caused more flow in that direction and that’s the result of STN but the flow was not aggressively changed, just more open area. I don’t know how that would have effected the other coral on the other side of tank. I’ll have to think of my next steps. I do want to lower my phosphate and nitrates. The chato, Skimmer and water changes are not making a dent. Only thing that works quick is phosphate RX but my wrasses don’t breath well and I don’t care to dose it. I cut back on feeding and I don’t fee corals.

While your NO3 and PO4 numbers would be considered high by a lot of reefers, if everything was healthy, I don't see the need for a sudden change.

I agree that the carbon dosing most likely wasn't the issue alone, but could have been.

PO4 will most likely not come down quick and stay down. It binds to the substrate and then is released back into the water column to achieve equilibrium.

As with anything in a reef tank, slow is better unless there is a catastrophic emergency requiring aggressive changes.

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nopox. It took a month to get the nitrates from 45 ppm to 6 ppm dosing every day. No adverse reactions. I’m trying DYI no pox but had to increase the dose since it seems weaker than the original product.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nopox. It took a month to get the nitrates from 45 ppm to 6 ppm dosing every day. No adverse reactions. I’m trying DYI no pox but had to increase the dose since it seems weaker than the original product.
Thanks for the info, How much did you dose per gallon?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back