Red Sea Peninsula Drain Issue !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
J

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2-year old (ish) Red Sea 750xxl with the original gate valve and thus far it's been stellar. I do have to occasionally adjust it if I find the water level in the overflow drops too much, but this is only something I need to review periodically (ie: every other month or so).
Yeah it hard to believe it’s the gate valve. Im not to sure myself that’s what’s causing the issue but I don’t know what else. It’s coming Monday and I’m crossing my fingers.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it hard to believe it’s the gate valve. Im not to sure myself that’s what’s causing the issue but I don’t know what else. It’s coming Monday and I’m crossing my fingers.
The only way to verify it would be to run it without the gate valve. Other than being a lengthy overflow run, I can't see anything unusual (you don't have any 90° bends and the one 45° you do have is very gradual).

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The only way to verify it would be to run it without the gate valve. Other than being a lengthy overflow run, I can't see anything unusual (you don't have any 90° bends and the one 45° you do have is very gradual).

They're sending me a new gate valve and I'm in the G2 series. I heard the G1 was even worse.

I honestly have no idea what's causing it other than the gate valve. There is nothing else that could be causing it. When you open the valve the water comes back fine.

Like today, I turned it all off to feed the fish and corals. Turned everything back on and the pump started sucking dry air. Resit if the system had water, just not the return section. Craziest thing I've ever seen. Open return valve and problem solved.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're sending me a new gate valve and I'm in the G2 series. I heard the G1 was even worse.

I honestly have no idea what's causing it other than the gate valve. There is nothing else that could be causing it. When you open the valve the water comes back fine.

Like today, I turned it all off to feed the fish and corals. Turned everything back on and the pump started sucking dry air. Resit if the system had water, just not the return section. Craziest thing I've ever seen. Open return valve and problem solved.
Q: When you say "turned it all off", do you mean the pumps? If so, I might have an idea.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Q: When you say "turned it all off", do you mean the pumps? If so, I might have an idea.

Yeah so when I feed, the following is what is turned off in this order.

Carbon Reactor - In sump
UV
Inkbird - heaters
Skimmer - In sump
Return Pump
Then the 4 Nero 7 - in tank

Then when I start it back up, this is the order

Return pump - I wait until the water is going in the overflow and is pushing water from the display to the sump.
UV
Nero 7s

I wait until the water has stabilized and turn on:

Inkbird
Skimmer
Carbon Reactor

OP
OP
J

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 90 degree and one 45 degree bend in the main drain line.

OP
OP
J

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so when I feed, the following is what is turned off in this order.

Carbon Reactor - In sump
UV
Inkbird - heaters
Skimmer - In sump
Return Pump
Then the 4 Nero 7 - in tank

Then when I start it back up, this is the order

Return pump - I wait until the water is going in the overflow and is pushing water from the display to the sump.
UV
Nero 7s

I wait until the water has stabilized and turn on:

Inkbird
Skimmer
Carbon Reactor
I had same issue so I stopped using feed mode. After feed mode is complete you need to give it time to re adjust before the noise stops.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had same issue so I stopped using feed mode. After feed mode is complete you need to give it time to re adjust before the noise stops.
Well I actually don't use feed mode, it's just programmed in case I needed it.

I shut everything off manually and then turn it back on manually. I could see feed mode causing an issue if it was all turned back on at once. It shouldn't cause the particular issue we are having though. Regardless the water should stabilize.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the longer pipe run may have something to do with the sump going dry after you turn any pumps off. I would probably setup a 5-10 minute delay on the skimmer. I'm not sure if the UV is integrated with your return pump or runs on a separate pump/loop?

OP
OP
J

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the longer pipe run may have something to do with the sump going dry after you turn any pumps off. I would probably setup a 5-10 minute delay on the skimmer. I'm not sure if the UV is integrated with your return pump or runs on a separate pump/loop?
So you’re suggesting to turn everything off and when Turing the return pump back on leave the skimmer off ? The UV light is runs on a separate ecotech m1 pump.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Sorry @Jackooze Ill step out of this thread unless I have something that might help you. Didn't mean to derail it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re suggesting to turn everything off and when Turing the return pump back on leave the skimmer off ? The UV light is runs on a separate ecotech m1 pump.
Yes, I'd leave the skimmer off for at least 10-minutes (especially with the length of your piping). Is the UV integrated into the return pipes or does it run on a separate loop, ie: pulling from one sump chamber and depositing in another? Any reactors or just the return pump, skimmer and UV pump?

OP
OP
J

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'd leave the skimmer off for at least 10-minutes (especially with the length of your piping). Is the UV integrated into the return pipes or does it run on a separate loop, ie: pulling from one sump chamber and depositing in another? Any reactors or just the return pump, skimmer and UV pump?
The UV is running in a separate loop. Pulling from the same chamber as the return pump and flowing to the refugium section of the sump. Just return, skimmer, UV. At first I thought there was something wrong with the fleece filter but I pretty sure it’s not it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV is running in a separate loop. Pulling from the same chamber as the return pump and flowing to the refugium section of the sump. Just return, skimmer, UV. At first I thought there was something wrong with the fleece filter but I pretty sure it’s not it.
You probably want to pull from right after the fleece roller and deposit into the return chamber. That's one reason you're having issues in the return chamber.

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought on the overflow plumbing: it might be the braided tubing causing the problem.

I ran an overflow with this tubing once and I could never achieve a full siphon with it. The slightest uphill in the run (like your initial run up over the stand wall maybe) would trap air and prevent a full siphon. Was only ever able to achieve about half the flow the overflow was designed for.

No matter how I tried to eliminate it I could not fix. If you are not going straight vertical with the tubing you should hard plumb. Then use the tubing for the straight run down to the sump.

Can't tell from your pics if this is the issue but if you shine a light on the tube and examine closely you should be able to see the air trapped in the upper part of the tube==probably in the portion laying on the stand floor if it is there.

OP
OP
J

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably want to pull from right after the fleece roller and deposit into the return chamber. That's one reason you're having issues in the return chamber.
I am going to try that if replacing the gate valve doesn’t do the trick. It’s just weird I’ve had this setup for three years now and never had an issue.

OP
OP
J

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought on the overflow plumbing: it might be the braided tubing causing the problem.

I ran an overflow with this tubing once and I could never achieve a full siphon with it. The slightest uphill in the run (like your initial run up over the stand wall maybe) would trap air and prevent a full siphon. Was only ever able to achieve about half the flow the overflow was designed for.

No matter how I tried to eliminate it I could not fix. If you are not going straight vertical with the tubing you should hard plumb. Then use the tubing for the straight run down to the sump.

Can't tell from your pics if this is the issue but if you shine a light on the tube and examine closely you should be able to see the air trapped in the upper part of the tube==probably in the portion laying on the stand floor if it is there.
I would agree with you if this was a new problem but I’ve had this setup for three years now without any issue. So something happened recently.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem, same symptoms. Interestingly enough, the same fleece roller. I struggled with it for some time trying to figure the issue out. I took the valve apart a dozen times just like you did. I ran a snake down the drains, I was able to blow water and air through the lines. Nothing helped. Finally I decided I had to tear the entire run out. What I found was a snail had made it into the line. In some strange vudu-snail-magic whenever the drain had enough pressure from flow it would push the shell against a barb fitting and block the flow. When the flow stopped it would fall out of the way.

OP
OP
J

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem, same symptoms. Interestingly enough, the same fleece roller. I struggled with it for some time trying to figure the issue out. I took the valve apart a dozen times just like you did. I ran a snake down the drains, I was able to blow water and air through the lines. Nothing helped. Finally I decided I had to tear the entire run out. What I found was a snail had made it into the line. In some strange vudu-snail-magic whenever the drain had enough pressure from flow it would push the shell against a barb fitting and block the flow. When the flow stopped it would fall out of the way.
Oh man that’s frustrating !!! I really hope it doesn’t come to that. I think once the valve comes it on Monday if that doesn’t fix the issue I think I won’t have a choice but take everything apart. My wife is going to kill me if the gurgling noise doesn’t stop soon.

OP
OP
J

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I replaced the spears gate valve and the same issue. I guess I have to tear down the entire main drain line and figure out the next step.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back