Red Sea reef energy A + B

Emarley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

Currently stocking my tank with corals, so far have 3 lps and 2 soft corals. Recently bought a trial pack of Red Sea reef energy a + b but so far have not used it. On reading the dosing instructions it only talks about sps corals. Is this product only for sps corals or does it benefit all corals? Only four months into the hobby so not sure if to use it or not, any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dom

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reef energy A+B can you be used in your tank. Red Sea has directions so that you can use more or less depending on what demand that your system has. They have a calculator on their site for tank volume so that you can get an idea of how much to dose. I would say that you have a low demand with your current coral stock. I would test and keep an eye on your parameters so that you can get a better idea if you need to even dose at the current time and then go from there. With your current demand I would not worry too much about supplementing as your coral demand is low and water changes should work just fine until you get more stock.

https://www.redseafish.com/coral-nutrition-program/reef-energy-complite-kit/

https://www.redseafish.com/reef-care-recipes/#recipe_1

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to start using it on a regular basis, start with half the dose you think you need. This product can increase phosphates in my experience (it's actually why I use it most of the time).

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used almost all of the small starter pack of A and B. I was seeing an improvement in the colors of my encrusting montis, deeper more rich color. But I am having some kimd of mini tank crash right now so I really cant say for sure if it improves coral health or not. I can say it will cause algae, cyano and diatom blooms if you dose too heavy so start very slowly. Thinking AcroPower and Reef Roids is a better choice for coral aminos and food.

mfrumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a follow-up question about dosing. I have a 180gl mixed reef, heavy on zoa's and yumas, based on their website I should be dosing 14ml of A&B each day? That seems like a lot. And then a friend of mine with a 200gl mixed reef told me he just doses 30ml of A&B once a week, and his corals are going great. So what's the consensus? Is 14ml a day right?

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a follow-up question about dosing. I have a 180gl mixed reef, heavy on zoa's and yumas, based on their website I should be dosing 14ml of A&B each day? That seems like a lot. And then a friend of mine with a 200gl mixed reef told me he just doses 30ml of A&B once a week, and his corals are going great. So what's the consensus? Is 14ml a day right?

I would refer to my previous post in this thread ;). Also, if you wanted to start out even more conservatively and only dose twice a week that would be fine too. Take it slow and observe/test regularly.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think your corals would benifit too much from the addition of A and B. Zoas and mushrooms will thrive with just some fish and feeding them. Or feed Reef Roids once a week to fill in any gaps in nutrition.

amir basis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats your friends no3 levels?
the basic idea behind red sea's reef energy to my understanding is a complete amino (mainly) and fatty acids supplementation to cover the corals needs particularly in low nutrient systems .however, in tanks where there are traceable amounts of no3 and po4 that are used naturally by the corals to produce their own amino acids, the reliance on external dosing of amino and fatty acids is much lower.
in my tank for example i keep my no3 at 2 ppm and po4 around 0.02ppm and i simply dose half of the recommended dosage of reef energy a+b. in times where my no3 levels drop (in case of lost live stock or increased filtration) i increase my reef energy a+b dosage or alternatively dose directly kno3.

DaveWasabi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"whats your friends no3 levels?
the basic idea behind red sea's reef energy to my understanding is a complete amino (mainly) and fatty acids supplementation to cover the corals needs particularly in low nutrient systems .however, in tanks where there are traceable amounts of no3 and po4 that are used naturally by the corals to produce their own amino acids, the reliance on external dosing of amino and fatty acids is much lower.
in my tank for example i keep my no3 at 2 ppm and po4 around 0.02ppm and i simply dose half of the recommended dosage of reef energy a+b. in times where my no3 levels drop (in case of lost live stock or increased filtration) i increase my reef energy a+b dosage or alternatively dose directly kno3."

I see. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you should first test your nitrate level. If it’s consistently below 5 ppm I think you can start with half recommended dose and add daily. If you see improvement after a few weeks then maintain it.
Adding stuff is tricky and I usually stay conservative.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back