Red Sea Reef Foundation ABC+

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using this stuff to raise readings on freshly mixed SW that are too low. I was wondering, is it possible to supersaturate RODI water and use this as part of dosing? Kind of like a kalk solution but with every element added.

If this is added into a kalk stirrer, how high of an alkalinity can I get this solution up to?

OP
OP
FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, alkalinity is low on fresh new sw For water changes so I use some of this stuff to raise all elements at once with a little scoop.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, alkalinity is low on fresh new sw For water changes so I use some of this stuff to raise all elements at once with a little scoop.

Which mix is low in alk?

OP
OP
FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HW Marin Reefer... great reviews but I’m very disappointed. Got a fresh one from BRS but a lot of residue left over and alk is around 7 at 1.026 and I run around 8-9. Going back to regular Instant Ocean.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HW Marin Reefer... great reviews but I’m very disappointed. Got a fresh one from BRS but a lot of residue left over and alk is around 7 at 1.026 and I run around 8-9. Going back to regular Instant Ocean.
Sounds like you’ve got your fix right there, swap salts :) That way you don’t have to mess around with raising levels etc.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, fair enough. I don't like that mix for other reasons (added organic matter, for example).

Since there are salt mixes across the whole spectrum of alkalinity levels, if you want higher alkalinity for some reason, it certainly makes sense to use a different mix. As far as I can tell, it is more common to lower alk in commercial mixes than to want to raise it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back