Red Sea ReefDose First Impressions

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 105g SPS dominant peninsula tank with a variety of fish and coral that has been running for 1 1/2 years. After manually dosing kH/Ca/Mg since my tank cycled, I become tired of waiting around on a Versa pump to become available and began reading about Red Sea's new ReefDose pumps. After discussing with my LFS and performing some on-line research, a couple of weeks ago I bought the ReefDose 4-head pump and tubing kits. This was my first venture into a dosing pump, but I have been researching several different brands for over a year so I felt like I had a knowledge base. I have Red Sea LED's and ReefWave gyres, so I was already running the ReefBeat app and the thought of having another product on the same controller app was intriguing (although this is certainly not a requirement).

I am a typically a picky grader when it comes to evaluations like this, but I give the ReefDose an A+. I truly cannot find anything I would improve, which is probably a testament to the four years that this device has been in design/pre-production.

Connection to the app - This was super easy. Red Sea, deservedly so, caught some flack for its ReefBeat app when it first hit the street a couple of years ago, but they have pushed numerous firmware updates over this time and it works very well now.

App Functionality - I could write several paragraphs on this, but I'll summarize by saying everything about the app and dosing is perfectly intuitive. If you want to customize, you can dial it in and make it as bespoke as you would like, but most of us simply want equal doses spread out over a 24 hour period, a single dose, or some other standard dose (i.e., twice a day). With ReefDose, you simply input the daily volume required (ml) and it does the rest. And if you want to tweak it--i.e., move from 15 ml/day to 13 ml/day--you simply edit the new total volume required and that's it.

Physical Installation and Set-Up - This too was a snap. The heads pop out easily, there are only a few parts, the mounting plate is easy to install/low profile, and they make an optional sliding rack (which I am not currently using). I would highly recommend also buying the tube kit, because the tubes are TPE material, and the mounting and guide brackets make for an easy installation and clean look. The app guides you through a very simple pump priming exercise to dial-in the viscosity of what you are dosing and this too is super easy.

Because I had been manually dosing, I had a general idea for my volume requirements. The pump has been running for a week and my parameters have not wavered. I would highly recommend this pump for new and experienced reefers.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up.

Keep,us updated on how they perform and their accuracy. I fought dosers for years and finally gave in. Best devision ever.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back